Author Topic: Dennis Rd School  (Read 22174 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Dennis Rd School
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »
In my time Mr Jones took Maths and 3.1 and across from him was Mr Biddle 2.1 who took Geography. They were both my form teachers. I also had Mr Owen 1.1 who was a maths teacher as well. and in 4.1 it was Mr Tebbut who taught racism a horrible man.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »
Phil,
I remember all those teachers and I think I was tort by them all, the numbers what did they represent, and I don't recall anything racist at the school while i was there, how did that come about.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Fred

Was Dennis Rd a Secondary Modern School when you were there? When I was there the years were divided into three group a b & c or 1 2 & 3 if you preferred the brightest being in group 1 or A. It was standard thing when I was there. As for the racism Mr Tebbut the deputy head master who took 4.1 was one of the most racist teachers I ever met and he wasn't backward at passing his views on,

At that time we had one Jamaican lad and one Maltese lad in our class, they had been with us since the first year so I don't know what they thought of him. But one day halfway through our final year he told us that the following week that there would be two new Asian pupils in our class and then he proceeded to let us have his views on Asians. The man was the worse bigot  I had ever met. Of course in those days you couldn't say a word, because your life wouldn't have been worth living. It wasn't long after this that I stopped attending school and never went back some three or four months before I officially left,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
Phil,
It was A,B and C while i was there and i think there was a D class.

frederick

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
Phil,
This is the school now, maybe Mr Tebbut was right    :o

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »
Fred

That's the school Hall, the purple sign is where the stage was. Mr Tebbut didn't rant on about the numbers of Asian people coming into the country because it wasn't really any sort of a problem back then. He went on about how in his opinion they were an inferior race and rubbish along those lines.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Fred

That's the school Hall, the purple sign is where the stage was. Mr Tebbut didn't rant on about the numbers of Asian people coming into the country because it wasn't really any sort of a problem back then. He went on about how in his opinion they were an inferior race and rubbish along those lines.
Phil.

I was in mr Tebbuts class, he was my final teacher before I left schoolin 1958.  Like Fred, I never came across any racist remarks from Mr Tebbut. But, like you say, there was no problem in those days, the area was still white, and there were no Asians etc in our class. I don't doubt what you say, I'm sure you would not make it up, but I personally never came across it.  Things have changed in that area these days. I have visited Dennis Rd School recently, it is a different world now. I guess there are varied opinions on the subject, but I will leave it there.    :-X :-X :-X
                                                                                                                         Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »
Malc

as you say in 58 there wouldn't be any reason for him to spout off. I was in his class in 61 and I think the two Asians lads in question were the first in the school. I would say as a teacher Mt Tebbut was pretty good but as a human being I would mark him zero.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Malc,
Where you in Joey Stokes class as i seem the remember you very well   O0
Hi Fred.

This is me in Joey Stokes's classroom on my recent visit to Dennis Rd. I am standing just about where my desk was in the class, I sat next to Clifford Davis. Mr Stokes' desk was just behind where I am standing, and in front of his cupboard (where he kept his cane) The cupboard you see is the original one from when I was there.
                                                                                                                                                                            Malc.

frederick

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
Malc,
I think we were both in mr Stokes class when we left the school at the age of 15, and as you say that was mr Stokes class room.

cocacolakid

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
Malc,
I think we were both in mr Stokes class when we left the school at the age of 15, and as you say that was mr Stokes class room.
Hi Fred.

I went up into Mr Tebbut's class after being in Mr Stokes'class. Mr Tebbut was my last teacher before I left school in 1958, aged 15.   Fred, we were not in the same class at the same time. The teachers I had at Dennis Rd were, in this order....Mr Warren, Mr Biddle(Runcorn Rd annexe) Mr Carrington, Mr Stokes, and Finally Mr Tebbut.
                                                                                                                                                                        Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy