Author Topic: Dennis Rd School  (Read 22221 times)

charliewag

Re: Dennis Rd School
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
I left Dennis Road School in 1951 in class 4C the lowest, I left Mary Street School to go to Dennis Road, I stared in a B class and went through in B class's until my last year but in 3B the teacher a Mr Harmon ( not sure of the spelling a ex RAF [censored] took a instance dislike to me and sent me down a class for my last year.
Other teachers I remember a Mr Pitt who gave me 6 of the best on my back side with a size 9 black PT pump never to be forgotten.  A Mr Harris known as fatty Harris he had a fight with a lad named Slater it was the first time a pupil  had punched a teacher in the face, caused quite a laugh with the rest of the school. Also I think the head master was a Mr Harris.  When I left I think the only non white in the school was a lad by the name of Raja Singh sat in front of me in class 4C.
I been trying to find me leaving certificate not a pretty sight but can't put my hands on it, some where in the house

Charliewag
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

Lorraine Hammersley

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 12:42:21 AM »
My dad (Roy Hammersley) went to this school. Not sure what year he left - I will have to ask him!

frederick

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Lorraine Hammersley,
I no your dad he was in my class and i think it was Chesterton rd he live in, i worked in the Serck plate shop and his dad worked there as a welder. say hello to your dad from me   O0

I lived in Leamington rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Lorraine Hammersley

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
Hello Frederick, Yes Dad lived in Chesterton Road and we lived in the same house until we moved to Yardley Wood when he bought a butchers there. Arhhhhh you knew my Grandad too - wonderful, Grandad passed away a few years ago now; Dad is retired now; I will speak to him soon and pass on your information.
Thank you for replying  :)

frederick

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
Lorraine,
Were your dad and his brother Terry the same age    :-\
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil Davidson

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
I did not go to Dennis Road School, but I remember that the woodworking annex was next to the juniors playground at Clifton Road School.
The Dennis Road kids used to beat us at football in the playground, because they were all seniors and we were all junior school kids.

I think that most of the Clifton Road Lamb and Bennet families went to Dennis Road.

Phil.

cocacolakid

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
I did not go to Dennis Road School, but I remember that the woodworking annex was next to the juniors playground at Clifton Road School.
The Dennis Road kids used to beat us at football in the playground, because they were all seniors and we were all junior school kids.

I think that most of the Clifton Road Lamb and Bennet families went to Dennis Road.

Phil.

Phil.
           I knew a lad named Morris Bennet who was in my class at Dennis Rd. He was a tall lad, and had a Tony Curtis Haircut
           1957/8. 

I went to woodwork at Clifton Rd.  When we had our playtime, we played football in the playground, but there was only us
            Dennis Rd boys there, we made the teams up from just us lot, great memmories, of good times.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil Davidson

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »

Phil.
           I knew a lad named Morris Bennet who was in my class at Dennis Rd. He was a tall lad, and had a Tony Curtis Haircut
           1957/8. 

I went to woodwork at Clifton Rd.  When we had our playtime, we played football in the playground, but there was only us
            Dennis Rd boys there, we made the teams up from just us lot, great memmories, of good times.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Malc.

My classmate was Stephen Bennet.
I heard from him some years back on Friends Reunited.
After Clifton Road, he went to Dennis road, then got a job at the BSA.
He lives in Australia now.

We only played together at lunch time, (dinner time as we called it then), and I agree that playtimes were staggered so that we were not all out together.
I remember an event from my last year at Clifton Road, in Chalky White's class.
The Dennis Road boys were out playing football at playtime, and one of them lost his shoe, which smashed a window in our classroom.

Phil.

trapio

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »
Phil,

Maurice Bennet was in same class a Fred and me at Clifton Rd, and being tall he was all lined up to be goalie in School team next (the last) season.

Unfortunately, one playtime it was raining and he decided to stay under cover sitting on a wall mounted wooden waste box, and let his rear end slump down and was stabbed in 2 or three places by a broken bottle....and he couldn't get out - teachers called etc.   At least it got him a few weeks off school as he couldn't sit down poor lad - it was actually quite a serious injury.   

Although a bigger lad than most, Maurice was far from being a bully - a normal regular happy, raggy ass like the rest of us.

trapio
Integrity is non negotiable

Phil Davidson

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
Hi trapio,

I have no memories of a Maurice Bennet, only Steve, who was in my Clifton Road Class.
However, when we are talking names from this period, there is a risk that we run into the problem of family size.
I am one of ten kids, and we all went to Clifton Road.
From memory, the Bennets, all Clifton Roaders, were ten or more. The Lamb family, also ten or more, who lived up a yard just down from the school, were all Clifton Roaders.
There were many other big families in the area, and they all seemed pre-destined to go to Dennis Road School after Clifton Road. For whatever reason, nobody from my family went to Dennis Road.

Phil.

BOB J

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
 Re Dennis Road and Bennett and Lamb families
I started Dennis Road in 1961 from Mary Street. In my class I was friends with Peter Bennett from Chesterton Road, he went to work at BSA and in approx late 70’s went to Australia, I met up with him and Reg Turley also in the same class before he went. Also in the class was John Lamb who lived by Clifton Road school, we both used to go mountaineering with the school (Mr Jones), but I lost touch with him when we left in 1966. Many of the kids in the class were ex Clifton Road. I have uploaded a class photo from about 62/63 Mr Monte’s class, Peter Bennett is 2nd from the left back row next to me 3rd from the left, right in front of me is John Lamb in the white jumper, Reg Turley is front row 2nd from right, does anyone know anything about how these lads are doing.
Bob J

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy