Author Topic: Dennis Rd School  (Read 22177 times)

BOB J

Re: Dennis Rd School
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
 I found another picture of the 5th year at Dennis Road (by then Sparkhill  Boys School) this is 1965 or 1966 just before we left I think. The teacher is Mr Sumner who I heard a while ago is still alive and kicking in his 80’s, I can recall many of the names although have only seen 2 of them since, Dave Fox middle row far right in about late 60’s and Maurice Freeman 5th from left middle row about 20 years ago, anyone know anything about the rest, I am back row 1st on left, many of same faces as in 1962 picture.
Bob J

Phil Davidson

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
Great photo Bob.

At Clifton Road, I was in a group of mates that included Pete Bennet, John Lamb, Alan Brain and Danny Buckley.

Pete Bennet, as you say ended up in Australia, and I had a contact with him a few years back, (2005/2006), over Friends Reunited. At the time, I seem to remember that he was running a caravan park.
John Lamb I also lost contact with, as I think his family were moved out to Kitt's Green, or near that area, probably late 60's or very early 70's.
Alan Brain was not a Dennis Road lad. He went to Wheelers Lane. He married the daughter of Mr. Morris, the Ladypool Road butcher, and I went to his wedding at Kings Heath Church, probably in 69 or 70. I lost touch with him after his marriage, and the last I heard of him, he was driving Birmingham City busses.
Danny Buckley possibly went to Dennis Road, and would have been in your class, but I have not seen or heard of him since we left Clifton Road.

Phil.

Robertbyatt

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
I am still looking for school photos from early 50s outside the  annexe at Dennis rd school nobby!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
Nobby

Take a look here
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

BOB J

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
 I have found some more Dennis Road photos, these are of a mountaineering trip to Wales about 1965, these were combined efforts between the school and the Carnegie Club the common factor being Mr Jones. We went quite often, mainly to North Wales and had some good times, it was a good part of our education to see the countryside and mountains, all for about £1 for the weekend.
Picture number 1, is L to R  Mr Jones, Derek from Carnegie Club, others as in picture 2.
Picture number 2 is us having breakfast probably Saturday morning the line up is L to R Errol Boxhill,
Alan Layton, Reg Turley, Steve Foster, John Lamb, note the ex army mess tins.
Picture number 3, is us meeting up on a Friday night you can see Mr Jones and his minibus with Reg Turley being the first to arrive at the junction of Clifton Road and Moseley Road.
Did anyone out there ever take part ?
Bob J

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
Hi Bob

I can't say that I recognise anybody in your photos with the exception of Mr Jones, but that is probably because I left in 61/62.  I was in Mr Jones's class and he was always going on about the Carnegie boys club and the Duke of  Edinburgh award Scheme, but at 14 years of age I had much better things to do with my weekends. One thing I remember about Mr Jones is that he was the only one who sent for the punishment book and put your name in it when he gave you the cane.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

BOB J

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »

Another bit of Dennis Road history, this picture is from Birmingham Mail about 1964 when the school moved to the Stratford Road site. On the centre trolley, John Lamb on RHS and me in the middle , I don’t know the other guy with the specs on the left. Others I remember in the picture 2nd from left Ron Millard and 3rd from RHS Fernando D’Ambrosio.

Bob J

frank

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
Frederick. I thought it might be more appropriate to reply to the post you placed on the elmdon airport    thread to me on this the Dennis road thread. The only person I think i recognise is Malcolm Jeffries,i do not know if i have spelt Malcolm's surname correctly,If it is Malcolm he is 1st right on the bottom row. Are you on the class photo that Malcolm posted on page one of this thread, i am 4th from the left on the bottom row, and Malcolm is next to me 5th from right. I am sorry i was so long replying to your post . Frank

cocacolakid

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
Frederick. I thought it might be more appropriate to reply to the post you placed on the elmdon airport    thread to me on this the Dennis road thread. The only person I think i recognise is Malcolm Jeffries,i do not know if i have spelt Malcolm's surname correctly,If it is Malcolm he is 1st right on the bottom row. Are you on the class photo that Malcolm posted on page one of this thread, i am 4th from the left on the bottom row, and Malcolm is next to me 5th from right. I am sorry i was so long replying to your post . Frank

Spot on with spelling of my surname, Frank.  May I just correct you about my position on the photo of Mr Warrens class, 1st year at Dennis Rd.  I am 6th from the right.  John Mayhon is 5th from right.   If you were refering to the Isle of Man holiday photo, then yes, I am 1st on the right  on the front row. Frederick is on far right of the front row, next to the lad in the glasses, who's name escapes me.O0                                                Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

frank

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Malcolm. Silly old me i meant 5th from the left. Frank.

cocacolakid

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
Malcolm. Silly old me i meant 5th from the left. Frank.

No probs Frank.  Only mentioned it for the possible benefit of others that did not know me.   O0
                                                                                                                                                                             Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy