Author Topic: Dennis Rd School  (Read 22170 times)

brian5201

Re: Dennis Rd School
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Malc, only just picked up on the photo outside Mr Warrens class. I'm sorry but I cannot recall any of the class but I am in the back row 3rd from the right. My name? Brian Warren. It might ring a bell

cocacolakid

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 04:22:32 PM »
Malc, only just picked up on the photo outside Mr Warrens class. I'm sorry but I cannot recall any of the class but I am in the back row 3rd from the right. My name? Brian Warren. It might ring a bell

Brian..

Good to see you on the forum.  Let me help you remember some of your old Dennis Rd Class mates, from Mr Warrens class.

Next to you, to your right, as you look at the photo, is Edward Bassamea, next to you on your left is Nevile Hughes, then Keith Brownhill, Terry Hammersley, Michael Comelio, & Raymond Dormer.  I can't recall the next three, but the lad after them, in the glasses, is David Newall.
In front of him in the next row forward, is Clifford Davis,  Then next but one, to the right, as you view the photo is Alan Lane, then next to Alan is Roy Jones, then Paul Tutty, third along from Paul is John Wallace, fifth along from John, is John Cheslin.   On the front row, second from left is Harley Cheshire, then third along from Harley (middle of photo) is Me, next to me is John Mahon.

As for the rest of them, I recognise faces but can't off the top of my head, put names to them.

Anyway Brian, I hope the few I have named, bring back memories for you.  I remember you very clearly.   Feel free to P.M me if you wish. O0

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

PatJenSat

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »
Hi does anyone remember John & Peter Sattar who left in the mid 60's & lived on the Ladypool Road.
Also does anyone know the name of the chap who also left the same time & went to work at Sparkbrook Metals, Arthur Street (Corner Coventry Road) Small Heath Birmingham.

Cheers - Pat

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »

hi pat
           welcome to the forum I'm sure some one will come up with the answers to your questions  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
Hi Pat,
Sorry Pat I left in 1958 so probably left before they started there. I lived just off the Ladypool rd in Leamington rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Bbislander

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »
Hi I am Mike Smallman and though not at Dennis Road I was at Sparkhill Boys from 62 - 66 (stayed on till I was 16) best mate was Kerry Webster, we started the chess club. I remember going to the woodwork site and having a go at teaching some younger children. I later became a teacher. I also remember Mr Jones inviting us to try some new activity called orienteering. We waited for him outside the club in the early hours but he never turned up. He said he had been paid to move a friend. Any more photos of those times? I lived in Clifton road and in the local park was introduced to volleyball.

earlswoodbob

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
Hi Mike,
Are you the one on photo on post #45 third from the right back row? I posted the picture and am back row 1st on the left. You can see from the later pictures I was one of Mr Jones’s mountaineering/orienteering group and a Carnegie Club member. I remember you but don’t remember you on the orienteering, but it sounded like you never made it. I also remember Kerry Webster (3rd from right front row) and another boy who played chess called Terry Walker (2nd from left front row), it was never my game.
Sadly I have met very few ex pupils despite living in the Birmingham area all my life. I see you became a teacher which is something I have flirted with but never took up on a permanent basis. Have you come across any other classmates?
Regards
Bob

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »
Hi both,

As I have related earlier I was at Dennis Road 1958- 1961 and I was in Mr Jones class in the 3rd year. I wasn't in any of his clubs as I don't think he would have had me. He banned me from all school trips after one eventful coach trip and his favourite pastime was practicing his cane stroke on my palm.

Like the last poster the last time I saw anybody I remember from Dennis Road was back in 1969 and I have lived in Birmingham & Solihull for about 90% of my life.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bbislander

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:00 AM »
Hi Mike,
Are you the one on photo on post #45 third from the right back row? I posted the picture and am back row 1st on the left. You can see from the later pictures I was one of Mr Jones’s mountaineering/orienteering group and a Carnegie Club member. I remember you but don’t remember you on the orienteering, but it sounded like you never made it. I also remember Kerry Webster (3rd from right front row) and another boy who played chess called Terry Walker (2nd from left front row), it was never my game.
Sadly I have met very few ex pupils despite living in the Birmingham area all my life. I see you became a teacher which is something I have flirted with but never took up on a permanent basis. Have you come across any other classmates?
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob, I looked at the photo and thought it looked a bit like me but I was using my phone and the pic is a bit low quality. I recognise the names and I think some of the faces. Is the original photo any better? I haven't lived in Birmingham since 1968. Kerry and I both went to work as trainee chefs at RS McColls in town then I left to join the RAF as a ground communications engineer. After 12 years in the RAF I became a computer service engineer. Gave that up to go to University in North Wales in the early 90's then taught at a private school until I retired in 2007. I now live on Anglesey, North Wales.  Kerry went to work as a chef in his wife's parent's restaurant near Whitby. Later he gave that up to become a postman, the last I heard of him was from his brother some eight years ago. He was still living up North and had bought himself a canal boat.

When Mr Jones invited us to go on an orienteering trip I remember looking forward to it but after standing outside the Carnegie club for an hour or so I decided that was enough for me. The chess club was about as exciting as it got after that. We decided to hold a raffle to help the chess club, the prize being an alarm clock. Everyone was annoyed because I won the clock but it turned out very useful as I always found getting up in the morning difficult and I still do.
[size=78%] [/size][size=78%]  [/size]

Bbislander

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
I think my memory of dates must be failing. The problem was that I went to 14 different schools, (15 if you count nursery). Looking at the cutting of Dennis Road school moving to Stratford Road I must have arrived in 1964 not 1962 as I thought. I know that I was very shy in those days. I recall someone doing something wrong in Mr Sumners class and he was keeping us all in until they owned up. I wanted to get away so I said I did it (whatever 'it' was). Of course I was kept behind anyway.

R_Morgan

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »
Hi both,

As I have related earlier I was at Dennis Road 1958- 1961 and I was in Mr Jones class in the 3rd year. I wasn't in any of his clubs as I don't think he would have had me. He banned me from all school trips after one eventful coach trip and his favourite pastime was practicing his cane stroke on my palm.

Like the last poster the last time I saw anybody I remember from Dennis Road was back in 1969 and I have lived in Birmingham & Solihull for about 90% of my life.

Do you remember a student called Robert Morris at all? He was at Dennis Road from 1958 till 1961, he went into a remand home at the age of 14. He also attended Clifton Road school from 1952-1958. My grandad was his father and we were never able to meet him unfortunately. I’m hoping to source a photo of him to share with my family x

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy