Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 14507 times)

cocacolakid

The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »

This is a photo of my mothers shop, in River St,  (near the Seymour St end)  This was my home from 1949 to 1961, When we had to leave, due to the redevelopment of Balsall Heath. Demolition of the terraces had already started, further down the street. As a result, times were hard, as most of our customers had been moved out to other areas.

There were many of these little independant shops around, many on street corners. They were the places where people got their groceries etc, but were also a place where the local gossip took place. The shop keepers were usually discreet, hear everything, say nothing.

Where was your local shop, what was the name. Do you have pictures to share on the forum. Sadley, shopping has become a bit of a drudgery these days, done with no community spirit etc.
                                                                                                                                                      Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

frederick

Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
Malc,
This is the shop we had in our road, not a very good one of it. the grandson of the owner was on here some time back but has disappeared, it was Hastings shop and they sold sweets, ciggs and groceries.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
Malc,
This is the shop we had in our road, not a very good one of it. the grandson of the owner was on here some time back but has disappeared, it was Hastings shop and they sold sweets, ciggs and groceries.
Fred.

Thanks for the picture. I hope to get more pictures of the little shops, many of them on street corners, in the Balsall Heath area.  I would particularly like one of "Lanes" paper shop in Balsall Heath Rd, almost opposite Mary St.
                                                                                                                     Malc.

frederick

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Malc,
I only have that one that was in Leamington rd, maybe others will be able to find something for you.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Malc

I could fill this site for days with photos of what were considered corner shops in various locations across Birmingham. I must have quite a few hundred of Balsall Heath, but after saying this I can't focus in on the shop you want. but here are a few of Balsall Heath Rd and one or two get pretty close.
Make Love Not War

Bertie

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
The picture of ted lanes on the of Longbridge Road bring back many memories for me we lived in Longbridge Road and that shop was where mom got all her vegs also rabbits.Also for the coranation he saved a lot of straw which mom made into a grass skirt for me so I could be she wears red feathers and a hulu.Was the shop next door a paper shop

Bertie

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
The shop on the corner had shutter when I was young that was in the 40/50s not sure the name was Lanes then

cocacolakid

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
Malc

I could fill this site for days with photos of what were considered corner shops in various locations across Birmingham. I must have quite a few hundred of Balsall Heath, but after saying this I can't focus in on the shop you want. but here are a few of Balsall Heath Rd and one or two get pretty close.
Phil.

Point taken, a bit short sighted of me. I will compact the request about the shop pictures, and say those local to where I lived.  Seymour St, Sherbourne Rd, Belgrave Rd, Hick St, Balsall Heath Rd, Gooch St, Longmore St,  Highgate Rd. Thanks for the pictures that you did post.

Phil, the picture of the post office in Balsall Heath Rd is of interest. It was owned by the father of one of the lads in my class (Mr Austins)  at Mary St, early 50s. His name was Robert Meddings.
                                                                                                                                                       Malc.                                                                                                                                     

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
Malc

You will find loads of photos of the streets you want on the Balsall Heath threads and the Highgate thread. In the meantime here are a few that I don't think I put on there.
Make Love Not War

Paulina

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
 :) :) Thankyou for great pictures for us to look at.  I don't remember the shops shown but can feel the area and atmosphere as if I were back there.  The one I remember was a little sweet shop that sold a few groceries as well, opposite to my Grandparents' house on Mary St. Balsall Heath, which means it was almost across the road from Mary St,School, but it must have been bombed when all there was bombed out.  My grandparents' house with incendiary bombs.  Thanks again. Paulina

cocacolakid

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
Malc

You will find loads of photos of the streets you want on the Balsall Heath threads and the Highgate thread. In the meantime here are a few that I don't think I put on there.
Phil. 

Thanks for the Pictures, Phil. Some of these I know, and have walked by them numerous times in years gone by.
As I infered before, they were not just shops, they were often social meeting places for the locals. People often kept alegiance to one particular shop, for their weekly shopping, etc.
                                                                                                                                         Malc.