Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 38702 times)

vauxonion

Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
Phil. 

Thanks for the Pictures, Phil. Some of these I know, and have walked by them numerous times in years gone by.
As I infered before, they were not just shops, they were often social meeting places for the locals. People often kept alegiance to one particular shop, for their weekly shopping, etc.
                                                                                                                                         Malc.

Many people kept allegiances to certain shops because they had a slate there as was the case in our house.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
Paulina

Sorry I don't have a photo of the one you mention in Mary Street, but here are a few others.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paulina

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
 :) Wow Phil, thankyou for the photos.  I wish we could get a photo of Mary Street School before it was bombed?  My Mother and her brothers and sisters were all born in my grandparents' house on Mary St. just a few houses from the school and on the same side of the road.  Paulina

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Paulina,

I'm sure I have put this photo up before.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paulina

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
 :) :) :) Oh my gosh, is what I just said out loud on seeing the photo of Mary Street School, I have never seen the picture before but intend to print it up.  Wonderful, thankyou.  I must have walked through that entrance a few times I can tell you when I was 5 and 6 yrs old.!!  My Mother used to walk me to the school, just 4 or 5 houses away.  A teacher used to see us and used to ask me "Did Peter hit you yesterday" and I would say "Yes", so I am afraid whoever Peter was, he was in trouble.!!! Thankyou Phil, enjoying just looking at it! Paulina

cocacolakid

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
:) :) :) Oh my gosh, is what I just said out loud on seeing the photo of Mary Street School, I have never seen the picture before but intend to print it up.  Wonderful, thankyou.  I must have walked through that entrance a few times I can tell you when I was 5 and 6 yrs old.!!  My Mother used to walk me to the school, just 4 or 5 houses away.  A teacher used to see us and used to ask me "Did Peter hit you yesterday" and I would say "Yes", so I am afraid whoever Peter was, he was in trouble.!!! Thankyou Phil, enjoying just looking at it! Paulina
Hi Paulina,
                      I have sent a reply with some info that may interest you, I have put it as a new topic on the old Birmingham site, because Mary St School is off topic on this site.
                                                                                                            Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Ruthern

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
Paulina

Sorry I don't have a photo of the one you mention in Mary Street, but here are a few others.

My Great Aunt Hilda Underwood (nee Stokes) used to run a fancy drapers at 221 Belgrave Road. Does any one have any photos or info? I have a receipt from the shop dated 1930.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Hi Ruthern

I can't supply you with a photo, but I can tell you that your Aunt's shop was on the south side of Belgrave Rd between the corner of Seymour St and the Electric Tavern.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jonali

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi Malc
Managed to find this but can't seem to find the school photos you told me about. Can you send me the link? Great to see you on Friday, thanks again for the help.
Best wishes
John

cocacolakid

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »

Hi Malc
Managed to find this but can't seem to find the school photos you told me about. Can you send me the link? Great to see you on Friday, thanks again for the help.
Best wishes
John

cocacolakid

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »

Hi John, having a problem with posting amy message, I will sort it out soon, bear with me.         Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy