Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 38717 times)

mikejee

Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
If accuracy is less important than completing the project, then this sets a very bad example to the children in later life. I would certainly hope they would never become surgeons, else they would presumably think it  more important to sew the patient up quickly than to ensure  he does not bleed to death.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:12 AM »
Phil

Yes I do realise from my own children and grandchildren that children today very little history be it local or world history is taught in school today. I think in the later years of their education it is only taught if it is one of their chosen subjects.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »
Phil

Yes I do realise from my own children and grandchildren that children today very little history be it local or world history is taught in school today. I think in the later years of their education it is only taught if it is one of their chosen subjects.
Morning Phil.

I feel that this topic has lost it's way. It no longer seems to be relevant to " The Little Shops of Balsall Heath. "
                                                                                                                                                                                            Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
Yes Malc you are quite right and it is my fault for taking it off topic in the first place for which I apologise to you as the starter of the thread. I will ensure that it remains on line from now on.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 12:30:28 PM »
Phil.

Accepted.  O0      Hope you didn't mind me mentioning it, but the topic had strayed a fair bit.  It is easy to stray unintentionaly, we have all done it.  ::)    Enjoy the rest of your day.
                                                                                                                          Malc.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
Thank u to all the members above for the wonderful old pic's from Balsall Heath. I came into this site on another subject but was delighted to see some old pic's close to where I was born in 1945. I was born in Sherbourne Rd, which I believe went from Moseley Rd down to Gooch St. Well, did at that time, but now has been cut short due to redevelopment. I remember River St. was just around the corner where my aunt Pearson lived, & Balsall Heath road ran parallel to Sherbourne Rd. (If I remember correctly) I also recall Belgrave Rd that also run parallel on the right hand side going down Sherbourne Rd towards Gooch St. I was just wondering if anyone has any pic's from Sherbourne Rd? I still have a clear memory of Sherbourne Rd & it's shop's, a "coal yard" & a school etc. I recall going to Mary St. school, which I believe is still there. Furthermore walking down Sherbourne Rd towards Gooch St., & having to cross the "bombed buildings" on my way to Hope St school, of which I attended until I was 15 years old. I would appreciate any further comments & photos from this particular area.

Best Regards
Jeff Brampton
Mexico City (40 plus years)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
Jeff

If you read through the several threads on Balsall Heath on this forum you will find lots of mentions of Sherbourne Rd complete with photos. You could try typing the street name in the search box at the top right of the page and see what that brings.
Sherbourne Rd did indeed run from Moseley Rd down to Longmore St and was originally cut in half so the new school Mount Pleasant could be built.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil Davidson

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »
Hi Jeff,
I also remember the coal yard at the bottom of Sherbourne Road.
If my memory hasn't faded too much, it also doubled up as a "rag & bone" yard, and one of the ways the local kids, me included, used to earn a bit of money, was collecting old newspapers and scrap metals, and selling the stuff to the yard.
With all the recycling we were doing, we would have been ecologists before the word was invented. :D
Phil.

Higgs

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 03:47:52 AM »
Grew up in Mary St in the mid to late sixties when the botton end got demolished, born and lived above the Butchers shop

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »
Hi Higgs

Welcome to the forum, we have quite a few members on the forum that lived quite close to you. Perhaps you might know them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
Grew up in Mary St in the mid to late sixties when the botton end got demolished, born and lived above the Butchers shop

Higgs...

Would that have been the Marsh & Baxters butchers at the Balsall Heath Rd end of Mary St ??

Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy