Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 38697 times)

Paulina

Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2014, 12:46:13 AM »
 :) That name rings a bell long forgotten, Marsh and Baxters, heard my Mother mention them so many times.  They must have been good butchers.  I lived on Mary Street but before it was bombed.

cocacolakid

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
:) That name rings a bell long forgotten, Marsh and Baxters, heard my Mother mention them so many times.  They must have been good butchers.  I lived on Mary Street but before it was bombed.

Paulina...

Marsh & Baxter were a well known quality butchers, they had a chain of shops.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
Entries in Kelly's Directory for 1950 & 1962 say it was 5 & 15 Mary Street (the Balsall Heath Rd end), G H Monk & Co, Pork Butchers. The 1966 directory shows this address as then being factory premises.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
Entries in Kelly's Directory for 1950 & 1962 say it was 5 & 15 Mary Street (the Balsall Heath Rd end), G H Monk & Co, Pork Butchers. The 1966 directory shows this address as then being factory premises.

Phil...

Thanks for the correction, so, it was G.H Monk not Marsh & Baxters. It was a long time ago, I miss remembered 
                                                                                                                                                  Malc. 
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

trapio

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
Many little B H shops, all CTNs and Gen Grocery that I recall from 3 streets had entirely disappeared when I visited TY, all are now just houses
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »

G.H.Monk had a branch in Muntz Street, Small Heath after WW2 (I lived almost opposite).

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Anne W

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
Does anyone remember The Value shop, a drapers. I can't remember which street it was on but my cousin worked there and we used to pop in and see her on the way to visit my Aunt at 6/50 Colville Road, so it may have been in Stoney Lane.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi Anne

I've had a search for this Value Drapers shop in Balsall Heath and can only find one at 123 Highgate St in 1973/74 and that is quite a way from Colville Rd. Do you have any idea of the year when it was when you used to visit. Just because I can find no record of the shop it doesn't mean it wasn't there it may well have been listed in the name of the owner only.

Was it a ladies or a men's drapers and what direction would you be coming from when you crossed or came down Stoney Lane?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne W

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
Hi Phil, This would have been late sixties. Not sure where we would have got off the No 8 bus from Alum Rock. Unless we got off sooner just so we could see her. As far as I can remember it was a cheap ladies drapers. I remember having a pair of gloves from there. Could have been in the owners name, I suppose. Thank you for looking. Anne

Christine Ketteringham

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
The picture of ted lanes on the of Longbridge Road bring back many memories for me we lived in Longbridge Road and that shop was where mom got all her vegs also rabbits.Also for the coranation he saved a lot of straw which mom made into a grass skirt for me so I could be she wears red feathers and a hulu.Was the shop next door a paper shop

Christine Ketteringham

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
My gran lived at 16 longbridge rd. in balsall Heath and I remember the green grocers on the corner and also the newsagent next door in BH roadq. My Mom and I stayed at my grans for a year whilst waiting to join my dad in Leicester in the 50s. She lived there until she died in in 1965' Her name was Lilian Williams.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy