Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 38701 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
Hi Christine

Welcome to you, T Lane's grocery shop was at number 193 next door was a drapery shop that became a second hand shop later. The nearest paper shop was the other side of Longbridge Rd a little further up the hill was also name Lane but with the first names Thomas Fredrick I suppose it might haver been the same person.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Littlesis

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
Freddie Lanes shop was opposite Mary Street, I think he had a son and daughter. Monks had a slaughter yard, next, or a couple of doors away from Freddie's shop. On a Saturday night we used to chase a guy from his shop up Balsall Heath Road as he called out " Arga City Blue Mail. ( Argus City, Blue Mail ) for our dad to get the football results, dad always had the Argus. Further to the topic of value clothing, there was a shop next to Burdens, not on Ladypool Road but going up the road off, the shop used to put clothes in cardboard boxes outside on the pavement for people to have a rummage in, very cheap, I used to have a lot of clothes from there when I was in my teens.

mikejee

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2017, 10:40:20 PM »
Here is a photo I took of  Monks  before demolition. Would your grocery shop be the one next door with sign advertising Feathery Flake flour?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »
My aunt and uncle had a shop in Cox st west called Bradburys leather hand bags on the corner was an outdoor which had a parrot that swore all the time,does anyone remember
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mikejee

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 05:54:37 AM »
This was presumably the off licence. I took the picture before demolition.

cocacolakid

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
Littlesis..

Fred Lane did have a son & daughter.  The sons name was Alan, We were friends at Mary St school. When we left in 1954, we both went to Dennis Rd & sat together in the first year, we ended up in different classes after that, but we still used to go to school together, firstly we walked, then we had bikes and cycled to school.  The Daughters name was Anne. Yes, the shop was almost opposite Mary St, there was an entrance at the side of the shop, leading to back houses, as well as the rear of Lane's shop.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Scipio

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2017, 08:59:45 PM »

Malc

You will find loads of photos of the streets you want on the Balsall Heath threads and the Highgate thread. In the meantime here are a few that I don't think I put on there.

Brilliant work Phil , can I ask have you got a pic of the Browns shop on the corner of Granville St and William St or the Box's greengrocery shop in Granville St ? I used to play with Michael Brown from the corner shop . I used to have a part time job with Mr Box loading his mobile shop that went around Sutton Coldfield due to lack of shops  in the early 60's

Regards  John

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »
John

I don't think I answered your questions that you asked here, I'm sorry but I don't have either of the images you enquired about.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
Edward Road shopping centre in about 1957, I remember the tobacconist on the left being one of the first in the district to have an outside cigarette vending machine, some years later than this photo. I remember using it many times when I used to use the Medina Cafe on the conrner of George Street in the early 60's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Littlesis

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »
Hi Phil, did George street run parallel to Tindal Street? Where was the cafe you are talking about.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
Littlesis

George Street and Tindal Street met at Edward Road and ran off at an angle to each other in between the Medina Cafe and the New Moseley Arms always known as The Clock and now remamed just that.

The only image I can show you is the clip from the TV series "Gangster" that was aired in the 70's. George Street is straight in front on the other side of Edward Road and Tindal Street runs off at an angle to the left. The Medina cafe is the building that can be just glimpsed on the right,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy