Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 19288 times)

bookworm

Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
Would it be possible for anyone to tell me the name of the owners of the little shop on the corner of Ladypool Road and Turner Street in the 40's and 50's?
Also, the owner of the wool and baby shop on the opposite corner of Ladypool Road and Beechfield Road?
I have read through so many posts I am going boggle eyed so thought I would take a short cut and ask all you clever people. Thank you all.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
Would it be possible for anyone to tell me the name of the owners of the little shop on the corner of Ladypool Road and Turner Street in the 40's and 50's?
Also, the owner of the wool and baby shop on the opposite corner of Ladypool Road and Beechfield Road?
I have read through so many posts I am going boggle eyed so thought I would take a short cut and ask all you clever people. Thank you all.

Bookworm

In the 50's number 37 on the corner of Turner Street was Mrs Mary Taylor Confectioner and number 50 on the corner of Beechfield Road was O Fellows drapers.
Make Love Not War

bookworm

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
What can I say Phil but you are brilliant! Thank you so much. I remember the name Taylor now but would never have guessed at Fellows. Thank you again Phil.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
The junction of Arter Street and Balsall Heath Road shortly before demolitiom in 1967. The newsagent shop on the right at number 291 was Heslingtons and the bricked up doorway on the corner of Arter Street number 294 was at ine time Lowes Hardware shop.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »

and in its day it may have looked like this

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
Roy

The bricks would have been more of a reddish colour.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »

Roy

The bricks would have been more of a reddish colour.

yes phil  but its an old photo and the colour has faded  ;D ;D
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Braidy

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently converting a small industrial building in Balsall Heath and wondering if anyone remembered it in its previous lives. So not a shop in the obvious sense but certainly little and perhaps where people went for their car/fuel needs post war?

Address is 14b Ombersley Road, next to the corner shop, but the front is actually on Woodfield Road. I bought it from the man who used to repair Saabs and he kept all his old car parts in it.

I'd especially like to know if anyone remembers it as a car garage or similar. I've had to remove a fuel tank from the ground and there's an old metal cover for the pump with a couple of shells on it. Obviously, it makes me think there was a connection to selling Shell fuel but that may be coincidence.

I know it was built around the turn of the previous century and that it was used by a roofer before the Saab guy. Apart from the fuel tank and fuel pump cover I know nothing else.

Anyone remember it?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
Hi Braidy

As I think I have mentioned previously the property prior to being used by Holdoms Roofing was a garage owned by J Barratt. As far as I am aware this business opened around 1935 and closed at the end of the 50's. It must have remained empty between that date and when Holdoms took it over.
Make Love Not War