Author Topic: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.  (Read 38712 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: The "little" shops of Balsall heath.
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »
the only two shops that I remember in our road (angalina street) was a paper shop called luckets  and a green grocer   called well we called it  dolly dings  and she made home made toffee on a stick   it was ok for pulling your milk teeth out ;D O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
I just want to say thank you for all of the posts and pictures.  I'm doing family history and discovered that my Mother was raised in this area as a child during the War.  Also, my Nana lived on Balsall Heath road from around 1910 to the 1950's when she had to move due to the demolition.  She had a seamstress shop there for 40 plus years.   Thank you again..

Hi ksag

Welcome to the forum, I've been racking my brains trying to think of a part of Balsall Heath Road that was demolished in the 50's and the earliest demolitions I can think of is when they demolished a section opposite Wenman Street for the new Mount Pleasant School in the mid 1960's. Have you any idea of the location of the shop?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ksag

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »
All I know is that she lived on 56 Balsall Heath Road and had to move to make way for some new road.  Or so, I was told?  My Nana was a dressmaker for all of the years.  My guess is she worked out of her house.  It probably wasn't an actual shop. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
All I know is that she lived on 56 Balsall Heath Road and had to move to make way for some new road.  Or so, I was told?  My Nana was a dressmaker for all of the years.  My guess is she worked out of her house.  It probably wasn't an actual shop.

ksag

Yes 56 was a house, down near the Pershore Road junction opposite the Earl Grey public house and I can think of no reason that would require the demolition of any houses there before the end of the 60's in fact where your Nana lived new houses were built in the 70's. It may have just been the Council playing it's old trick of compulsory purchasing property years before they really needed to in the hope that the occupier would stay on an pay rent ans they could recover the meagre sum they paid for it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2019, 02:54:55 PM »
Following your post in the other thread. The online electoral rolls (which do not list every year) show Elizabeth Skelcher is listed on the online rolls at no 56 from 1930. Before 1939 it is with (mother?) Ellen, and form 1939 till 1947 various other names, presumably lodgers. She is still listed there in 1965 , the last year that the rolls are online

Empson

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
The shot of Balsall Heath Road 1954. Irememberthatfairly well as I lived about 100 yds or so towards Moseley Road
The shop on the corner (BH Rd an Arter Street) was owned by Lowes although by ‘54 MrLowe had passed on. I’ve been racking my old brain trying to remember the name of the newspaper shop just below but it just won’t come. On the opposite side of the Road was a little grocery shop run by an old lady called Toombs. She took no prisoners but really had a heart of gold if anyone was in dire straits.
Brilliant set of pics! Really took me backwashes hoping to see a snap of Pratt’s the chippie almost on the corner of BH Rd and Clevedon Rd. Best chips in the area but always a queue outside the shop too .....in the rain!

Empson

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
ksag

In 1950 according to the trade directory there was a Winifred Skeltcher (dressmaker) at 56 Balsall Heath Road, she is still there in 1969, but after that number 56 is no longer listed.

empson

The newspaper shop you were looking for was at 291 Balsall Heath Road, and was owned by a Walter Jarvis perhaps when you knew it, and J Pyatt's chip shop was at 130 Balsall Heath Road which was between the black patch and Cox Street West.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
empson

Another image of Balsall Heath Road from Arter Street, this one shows all three of the shops mentioned by you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peter lovell

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2022, 05:04:41 PM »
Here is a photo I took of  Monks  before demolition. Would your grocery shop be the one next door with sign advertising Feathery Flake flour?
Wasn't that Brighton Road? if so the building was the Birmingham office for the Victoria Flour Company of Bristol, My father ran it and it was a storage/distribution center for the Midlands.

mikejee

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2022, 10:13:47 PM »
Wasn't that Brighton Road? if so the building was the Birmingham office for the Victoria Flour Company of Bristol, My father ran it and it was a storage/distribution center for the Midlands.
The photo was of  186 Balsall Heath road

Gooch_St_Lad

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2022, 11:04:39 AM »
Does anyone have photos of the shops in Gooch Street, in the area between Sherlock Street and the Triangle Cinema, Conybere Street please?   I used to live at 1/147 Gooch Street in the late 1950's, early 60s and I used to run errands for the shopkeepers; especially for sandwiches from Harry's Cafe, at 147; opposite Bishop Street.  I remember a TV repair shop next door, towards Sherlock Street (No, 145?) and a dress shop, two doors the other way towards Conybere Street (No 151?).  There was also a greengrocers called Fields.I would be grateful if some recognisable photos could be found of shops in this street.
Cheers,
Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy