Author Topic: Ritz Dance Hall  (Read 5045 times)

Andy Capp

Ritz Dance Hall
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »
lizzy do you remember The Ritz Dance Hall in York Road Kings Heath.Used jive there most saturday nights in 1950s. My cousin Dennis used to live in Mary Street he went to australia in1975. He now lives in Rosebud In Victoria. I had,nt heard from him for more than 25 years. He got back in touch in 2003 . we phone each other quite often now & talk about old times. Andy Capp

tassie devil

Re: Ritz Dance Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 02:35:51 AM »
hi andy capp   

i remember the ritz had some good times there remember the manns brown beer only in bottles we would go to the three horse shoes first next to the canel on alcester rd then about 9.30/10.00 go to the ritz we were regulars i remember one saturday we got there and could not get in it was full then realised the hollies were on we were not happy chappies because we were mad hollies fans
          :'(                                                                   

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 01:55:44 PM »
Hi  Tassie Devil
Myself & my mates would do a pub crawl along the moseley road on a saturday night. Starting at the Prince of wales in moseley village have pint in there.Then to the Railway in Kings heath then the cross guns across the road. then finish up in the Hare & hounds in york Road then into the Ritz. The beer at that time was 0ne shilling & four pennies in the old money. A popular drink at the time was black velvet half a pint of cider & half of guiness. Andy Capp

Lizzy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 01:51:34 AM »
Hi Andy Cap
This is Lizzy Yes I remember the Ritz but I never went there but was a regular at the Moseley & Balsall Heath institute.also the Westend and the Tower.Until things got seriouse with my husband he had 2 left feet so dancing was out.
You mentioned the coach trips yes went on a few of them they were great fun.We were in London in 95 and went on a boat trip down the Thames and the tradition must carry on because they passed the hat round for the captain. Have a great day  lizzy

cappdn

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:35:01 AM »
I used to go to the Ritz with my girlfriend " Now my wife" in the late 50s early 60s. you had to be a member to get in. we also used to frequent Alex Hoopers on the Stratford Rd and Laura Dixons , above Chetwyns in Station Street. in the early 60s I also used to get into Cutlers dance in Station St.
They realy were happy days "or should I say nights".

Regards Dennis

abilene

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
The Ritz became the Ritz bingo Hall, I'm not sure what is now, I know it closed down a couple of years ago, I believe the old guy who owned it may have died he'd been there for years and I was told that he pratically lived on the premises not trusting burgular alarms.. The place was having a major conversion made to it the last time I saw it.

batucada

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
The Ritz was owned by the same people who owned the Plaza in Handsworth.
Acts would do about 45 minutes at one then jump in a car and repeat the show at the other one. Hard to believe now but saw Jerry Lee Lewis, Lulu, Johnny and the Pirates and others who I've forgotten do this routine.
And yes certainly remember the Manns Brown Ale.

Andy Capp

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
HI BATUCADA
I WENT TO SEE JERRY LEE LEWIS THIS YEAR AT WOLVERHAMPTON. HE IS NOW 71 HE CAME ON THE STAGE ALL FRAIL & BENT OVER. BUT WHEN HE SAT DOWN AT THE PIANO & STARTED PLAYING  HE WAS MAGIC IT WAS ELECTRIC HE WAS AS GOOD AS EVER. ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »
 Andy Capp,

I notice earlier in this thread you mention a pub crawl, did you ever try this one. Start at the New Inns top of Edward Rd and call at every pub along Moseley Rd, down Bradford St and along Digbeth in to the Bull ring, calling at every pub on the way. When we were kids we started by having a half in every pub and we never got halfway down Bradford St. I heard tell of some who finished the crawl and had a pint in each pub.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 10:05:08 PM »
i have seen a fuw pop stars at clubs around the town but in 1980 i went to the town hall to see andres segovia playing classical guitar there was a respected deadly hush in the hall it was very enjoyable
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Graham

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »
Segovia  :smitten: Now you've touched my heart strings (cues the pun) Fred.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy