Author Topic: baker motorcycles northfield  (Read 4072 times)

Graeme Wilson

Re: baker motorcycles northfield
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:16 AM »
I know this is an old topic but it's worth sharing what I've discovered from my research so far rather than leave the original question unanswered. After breaking away from the Beardmore Precision Company in 1924, Frank Baker re-established motorcycle production under his own name in 1927 in an old shed at the rear of a pub in Alvechurch Rd. . This had been the site of a previous venture in the name of Hobbis, Hobbis and Horrell who manufactured motorcycles there under the “Triple H” and “Triplette” brands.  Frank would later move his business to Tomey Rd Greet, just around the corner from James Motorcycles. He worked in conjunction with James until they brought him out in 1930. James used Bakers patented frame design for a number of years. Frank then worked as a commercial traveller for AMC Motorcycles. Frank Baker died in 1941, he had established three motorcycle marques in the course of his lifetime, Precision, Beardmore Precision and The Baker. At one stage he was the worlds largest manufacturer of proprietary motorcycle engines.

claybaker

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
I guess we never get tired of Frank Baker's story.  His contribution to motorcycle development is impressive.  I would enjoy hearing anything new people here have discovered.  A very good detailed account of his career, family and obituary can be found at Graces Guide dot CO dot UK slash Baker_Motor_Cycles

Thank you
Clay Baker

Graeme Wilson

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 04:48:38 AM »
Hi Clay, If you have access to Facebook, in the Face Book Search bar type:   F.E.B.'s Precision Motorcycles      This should lead you to a page dedicated to Frank Baker and his machines.

I've been researching him for more than five years now and happy to share especially if you have some family connection.

claybaker

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
Just visited the Facebook site, wow, what an impressive photo collection.  Feels like I'm just getting my feet wet with The Baker and Precision motorcycles.  Has anyone ever tried to revive the brand 'The Baker'?

Graeme Wilson

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »
+
Hi Clay, The Baker name was purchased by James who eventually became part of the AMC Group. I don't know if anyone has revived the name, there are a few motorcycle shops calling themselves "Baker Motorcycles" or similar but I don't think the name applies to a revived manufacturing brand. You are welcome to join the Facebook Group, there is a lot more than just photographs on the site.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy