Author Topic: Pork Butchers Shop in Upper Highgate Street  (Read 9269 times)

AndyHB

Pork Butchers Shop in Upper Highgate Street
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:27:46 PM »
Between 1895 and his death in 1897, my great great grandfather, Thomas Bartlett had a Pork Butcher's shop in Upper Highgate Street. I would love to obtain a photograph of it. Does anyone have one, or know where I could obtain one? Many Thanks, Andrew

Langstraat

Re: Pork Butchers Shop in Upper Highgate Street
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »
AndyHB,

There's a picture of Upper Highgate Street In 'when I was young' enter the details in search at the top of the page
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

john2000

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 07:40:40 PM »
The photo of Highgate Rd, may be on here some where, but I'm blessed if I can find them.... ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

AndyHB

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »
Thanks,
            I did see that pic of Upper Highgate Street in the 1950s- and it prompts me to ask- it looks as if there is a shop on the corner in the far left of the photo. Was that corner the junction with Conybere Street?

I forgot to mention one thing in my initial post- Thomas Bartlett's shop was at 55 Upper Highgate Street, although that was in the mid 1890s .. does anyone know what the numbers of the houses in the photo would have been, as I can't see any?

Andrew

john2000

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:40:41 PM »
Ok, Langstraat, I've found it, ( I remember repairing all the sachcords to windows like that, ) the four cords, 20mins,  dont think I could do it now, maybe a little longer,  :buck2:

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 03:37:04 PM »
PHOTO OF UPPER HIGHGATE STREET IN THE 1950S

Andy Capp

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »
OLD PHOTO OF A BUTCHERS IN LADYPOOL ROAD
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »
PHOTO OF A CHEMIST IN UPPER HIGHGATE STREET IN 1950
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »
OLD PHOTO. PORK BUTCHERS
IN DARWIN STREET HIGHGATE
ANDY CAPP

johnl

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:41:24 PM »
Hi,
The chemist shop picture is of Rhodes Chemist cnr Conybere and Upper Highgate St.
John L

john2000

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:33:04 PM »
As Conybere St was on a hill, then the chemist shop must have been on the left when coming up the hill, on the right, on the corner coming up from Conybere St, if I remember  right, there was another shop ( painted brown) but it had the windows boarded up. I know there was an out door, on the right when you cross over Upper Highgate St, ( again on the corner) it was later run buy a John Hope, ( his parents own the Free house in Sherboune Rd and Longmore St, )
Who remembers the little dry cleaning shop on the corner of Upper Highgate st and Belgrave Rd, then it was run by a woman and her daughter, very nice people,. ( I know because I used to get my shirts done there, cost 2,6pence, ( old money) then a little further up on the left was a pub ( white walls) so many year ago, still remember the houses, but not so much the details...sad that, yepe, that was yesterday, when I was young.... ^-^

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy