Author Topic: Remember my tree?  (Read 3514 times)

Jacqueline

Remember my tree?
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:13:34 PM »
Dunno where my first post is so thought i would give a quick update. The said trees which i had constantly asked to be checked reared their heads again. A thick branch from the huge one [weeping willow] has severed and is hanging on by a thread above hubbys shed.

Various phone calls tried to fob me off yet again but i was persistant and demanded someone must take a look at these three trees none of the trunks are in my garden and the tallest is a good 10-15 foot above my house and well over 30ft wide branches].

Out came environmental health who were staggered when they saw the size of the main tree which is in a neighbours garden. Why did you not call us before they asked. Told them i did and was told to cut branches off and had them back to neighbour. As the looked at the top branches some 40 ft up i think the penny finaly dropped.

Seems the smaller tree's on waste ground will be cut right back in the next 4 weeks. However the big tree needs it's roots looked at as it may well need to come down. This is where i feel awful. The trunk is in a lovely lady's garden who is well in her 80's and owns her own house. They have gone to the land registry to file a charge on her. Was told 500 quid if the branches are cut and i dread to think the cost if the tree has to come down.

Gosh this tree has been a threat to my home and will be pleased to see it go but at what cost to a lovely old lady? >:(

Langstraat

Re: Remember my tree?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
 Jacqueline,

Do a search for : 'Ever had a fight with a tree?'
Mixed emotions eh?

The Willow should never have been planted near houses it will damage foundations a wreck sewerage systems. The best place for them is in someone else's garden.
The tree is the old ladies responsibility and as such is a cost she will have to bear as has been the worry it's caused you.
I wonder whether her household insurance would cover the felling?? Worth checking that out.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »
That's a thought Lang but insurance is so hit and miss. This giant needs sorting but i so do hope it does not effect the health of the poor old lady.She only lost her hubby last year [according to a neighbour].
We spoke to her the other day for the first time but did not mention any cost. Her house is to the side of ours but on a different road as we are in a triangle of three roads.

Langstraat

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:01:46 PM »
Well if it could be established that the roots were causing damage (as they most probably are) then the (root cause ) no pun intended could be tackled by the removal of the tree; I'm sure this would be covered by the policy. The only cost could be in her excess. It's worth checking, thats what insurance is for the unexpected
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
hi Jacky its a hard life when your on your own and i think she may get help in sorting it out she may be a nice lady but if the roots give you a problem or the bows that hang over your house fall it could cost a lot more and im sure she would understand  best of luck best place for trees is in a wood some where
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
It's gone. Well cut back and put to sleep as the tree surgeons said. Only the one but was the biggest which had smashed the back end of our shed. Our dog was dumbstruck when she went outside. She has nowhere to hide now. ;D

Graham

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:26:02 PM »
Well Jacqueline I'm very happy for you that your problem "fell" off your shoulders, now you can finally "bough" out of this thread and get back to finding my "roots".  :smitten:

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:31 PM »
hi jacky  so they got to the root of the prob then  well done your dog will have to find something Else to peee up
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »
Jacky... could you have a word with the people who cut your tree down, I have two, that are driving me up the wall, this time of year, the leaves start to fall, ( maybe that whey the Americans call it the fall), and the leaves are racing each other around my garden in to the kitchen, and hall,  I get a little voice from the house, "don't come in,I've just cleaned the kitchen" I open the door, and then theres a race to see who can get in first me or the leaves, the leaves normally win, so then I'm in the dog house till I've cleaned up, now the front of the house is another matter, we have a tree, again with falling leaves, that cover everything, including the path, even the fish pond is full, I have to clean it every day, or the fish will leave, but I phoned the council who said they will look into it,  two months later I get a phone call, from the tree doc, who sounded as if he had, had too many bevies,( drinks), he will be around in December, dont make it too late in the month, I'm expecting father Christmas to visit and he ties his raindeer to the tree, "who's father Christmas"was the reply, never mind, try and get here as soon as you can please.... :buck2:
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jacqueline

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »
Ha Ha, my hubby has lost weight but he used to have what looked like a beer belly although he does not drink and a longish grey beard.

He avoided his red jumper in december to save being followed by too many kids. :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy