Author Topic: Fred Lane  (Read 8047 times)

Andy Capp

Fred Lane
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
WE used to get our Newspapers & comics IE the hotspur  the champion the rover & the eagle. From Fred Lanes opposite Mary Street In Balsall Heath Road.I Think his wifes name was Nell they kept the shop for years. Any Capp

cappdn

Re: RE: Balsall heath as it was
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 11:42:54 AM »
I used to live in Mary Street, I remember Fred Lane and I went to Mary St school with Freds son Alan. The paper shop eas next to Monks The butchers on the corner of Mary st and Balsall Heath Rd stood the Wellington pub and on the other was the cornshop.  just down Balsall Heathe road a few yrds were Muddymans the green grocers, and the CO, Op

john2000

Re: Fred Lane
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:10:38 AM »
Hi, just a question, in Balsall Heath rd, there was the Co-op on one courner, then there was  warewell ( work overalls) and I think Muddymans greengrocers that was the point where Upper Cox St and balsall Heath Rd met  what was the name of the street  the other side of Balsall Heath Rd from Upper Cox St, .
I remember the families that lived there, like: Frosts ( John and his sister) then the Banebridges, Cathey,Chrisy, Laurance Banebridge,  Pauline Stevens,
.......................john 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

cappdn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 10:24:23 AM »
Muddymans was on the corner of Balsall Heath Rd and Longbridge Rd. , I used to knock around with Eddy Whitehouse whou lived opposite Muddymans in Longbridge rd. the co op was on the corner of Balsall Heath Rd and Cox Street. Next to Muddymans I thing was a newspaper shop.

Regards.
Dennis

Andy Capp

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
John2000
The road opposite upper cox street was Longbridge Road went down into sherbourne road I went to School with Alan Smith who lived there. Also worked at the same factory in Redditch for a number of years. Did you go to mary street school i started there in 1941 until 1947. I my first teacher was Mrs Mellor. Andy Capp

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:00:14 AM »
Dennis next to muddymans was Mrs twiss the drapers then the butchers then the newspaper shop then a general food shop. A wide entry then the littleton arms pub i could go on & on. But i,m sure it will all come back to you. Andy Capp Alias Teddy Boy.

Andy Capp

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 11:09:06 AM »
I,m Almost sure that as well his shop he also had a lot of pavement pitches selling newspapers in Birmingham City Center. he used to run one them & his wife run the shop but as he got older he did more in the shop.  Andy Capp

john2000

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 05:27:09 PM »
Does anyone remember Allan Robinson, used to live in Gosford St, on the left, there where two new houses built on the corner , and in one  of them was a girl called Marrian, "yes "I know, I only seem to remember the girls and not the boys in this area. she always seem to be fighting for a lost corse like save the rabbits or the chickens she even had a meeting about the down and outs  in Balsall Heath, she wanted to help them, and as sure as god made little apples I put my foot into it, by saying they should help them selves, that put an end to that romance..................john 2000 8)

Andy Capp

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 12:53:55 PM »
John 2000 i lived two doors up from Alan Robinson he was a pal of mine. The only marion i knew  was marion james & she lived at 31 further up street than were you mentioned. Andy Capp

john2000

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
At the top half of Sherbourne Rd on the left wasa a school ( Sherbourne Rd School ) we had a youth club there, and every Friday night we had a live band , does anyone remember it, ??....... john 2000

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy