Author Topic: Wheres this  (Read 13833 times)

Gee Gee

Re: Wheres this
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
Was there a park at the top left hand side of that road with football pitches.?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
This is just a little forward of where the photo was taken. I know there is probably 30 or 40 years in the difference, but they are nothing like each other.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
There again comparing the two, there could be a possibility. Look at the house in the first photo by the pencil mark and compare it with the one in front of the tram.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:08 PM »
Hi Phil, that is what I was thinking about the house looks like the one on the corner of Arley road? still there I think,
so it turns out to be Saltley end of Washwood Heath road?

thanks Phil
p.s. Phil I have just compared to two photos if you look at the second tram pole from the left on the pic that I posted it is outside the house on the pic that you have posted.
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

pudding

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »
one more to workout Phil if you can as I am lost with this one

A...are we looking toward Saltley or the other way?

B...What is the name of the road going off to the left of the photo?

pud

mikejee

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
Going to picture with Freeman hardy & willis. It could be the angle the camera was held Phil that affects whether it appears to be going uphill. If that is 26-28 Washwood heath road, then (from 1910 Kellys) going away from the camera,  2 doors further up at 32 was a confectioner (see Cadburys sign between where 30 & 32 would be), followed by a grocer, a greengrocer & a butcher, and then by four house (3 listed in directory, and presumably one ( no 40) not listed . there is then clayton Road. The c 1917 map shows after Clayton road, several houses slightly set back and the 1910 Kellys also shows several houses immediately after clayton road.. On the other side of the road opposite the shops is Havelock road. This would all fit with that photo. The tables set out on the pavement look a bit like a greengrocers , you can see what would be Havelock Road, and , though not clear, Clayton Road could be there. c1917 map below, 26-28 in red.

vauxonion

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »
I think Phil has the correct spot  although it does look quite flat.I think the road on the right just before the horse is Havelock Rd and the gap in the houses on the left is Arley Rd .Have a look at this photo of the corner of Arley the house appears to be the same shape.Dek

pudding

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
Thank you gentlemen,Mike a great in depth info, as it turn out to be 20/25 yards up from the Gate pub Saltley.
The foundations of these building now lie under the tarmac of the widen Washwood heath road, and their back yards/gardens has now become a petrol station

thank again all.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »
Pudding

I'm still trying to work out where the second photo is, though I can't claim to know much about Ward End.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »
pudding

I think this is the location of the second photo, by Asquith Rd. The road you refer to on the left is nothing but an access to the allotments that used to located there. You can just see the entrance to what must have been the previous Methodist Church on the right.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »
Phil, you've got it,I just notice the building on the right side of both photos turns out to be or was a coachhouse now a garage,as it looks like a entrance to a chapel.

thanks Phil well spotted.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy