Author Topic: Highest point in birmingham  (Read 36848 times)

planetmalc

Re: Highest point in birmingham
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
Without doubt the best view is from the layby in Egghill Lane.

Yes, the Frankley Beeches lay-by at Egghill Lane is definitely the most scenic.   If you walk south-east from the lay-by along Egghill Lane, there's a field where sheep are often grazed.   The view from this location, on a see-for-miles day when the yachts are out on Bartley Reservoir (Sunday?), will net you an urban landscape to rival any in Britain.    Take the binoculars and camera!

As others have said, Barr Beacon, and Beacon Hill at the Lickeys, are both excellent places.    Also at the Lickeys is Rednal Hill (off Eachway Lane), and not far away from there is [censored] Hill, which offers a 360-degree panorama of south Birmingham.    In Yardley, there's a nice view of east Birmingham from Oaklands Recreation Ground, which is off Church Road.    Up north (Kingstanding actually!), there's a little-known viewpoint at Clapton Grove, another location offering a 360-degree panorama, this time of north Birmingham.

There was a time when good cityscapes were to be had from some of Brum's multi-storey carparks, but security issues and suicides have taken most of these away from us.     If you fancy trying your luck, the best view is probably the one from the roof of Moat Lane Carpark, in the City Centre.    Another decent view can be had from the roof of Selfridges Carpark, in the nearby Bull Ring Shopping Centre.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Whoops! I clean forgot about The Pimples, in Castle Bromwich (between Chester Road and Newport Road).    This piece of unused land is not at a great elevation, but appears that way because it lies high above the Rea River Valley, which is at Birmingham's lowest elevation.     A large portion of north Birmingham is visible from there, and it's not far away from you, Gareth.

For those who wish to see THE WHOLE of Brum (and much else besides) laid out before them, try Bury Hill Park, in Oldbury (just off the A4123).

Sedgley Beacon (just outside Sedgley town centre) offers splendid views of that part of the Black Country.    There are often horses grazing on it.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

nickcc

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Whenever I went to Barr beacon it was always dark, the policeman used to knock on your windows and  tell you to put your lights on, dirty sods  ;)
Nick

Helston Cornwall

maggie

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
Nickcc,   sooo  you are the one to blame for those knickers
on my front lawn and the empty beer bottles, tuttut

We used to get a fair bit of rubbish on the verge and lawn'from sightseers and naughty business..

Never dobbed the courting couples in to the boys   in blue tho

it was a case of been there done that
do unto others as you would be done by

nickcc

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
How does that song go"O HAPPY DAYS"  ;)
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Woolfie

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »
Yeah, lots of "views" from Egghill Lane! :o
My favourite free magazine is "Loot" and I also follow the thrilling adventures of Noddy and Big Ears

nickcc

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
Yeah, lots of "views" from Egghill Lane! :o
Have to agree, my first girlfriend lived in Weoly Castle and we spent many hours admiring the view ;)
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Paulina

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
 ;D :) I don't remember EggHill Lane, and I can't remember any view from there?

astwood

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
Is it the view they park there for? because there are always
more cars there at night when im going home from the Coldstream O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Mind you it is a pretty good view, one I don't think I have ever actually seen in reality. Though I did notice you cant see anything from the layby as its surrounded by high bushes.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astwood

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
Phil
Great picture mate Im lucky enough to live near there
i use to walk up there with the dog to far for me now

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy