Author Topic: Highest point in birmingham  (Read 36854 times)

planetmalc

Re: Highest point in birmingham
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
But my next question is. Im looking for a urban view as i am planning on doing a panorama if possible on bonfire night of consumer fireworks if there is any. So what would be a best view on houses much more than just a city?

i would also like to say i live near the ice rink near coventry road. anywhere close would be beneficial.

Get onto Coventry Road and head up to the Swan island at Yardley; turn right at the island and head down Church Road.   On the left is Oaklands Rec and there's a view of Yardley, Hay Mills, Small Heath, Bordesley and the city centre from there.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

trapio

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »

Get onto Coventry Road and head up to the Swan island at Yardley; turn right at the island and head down Church Road.   On the left is Oaklands Rec and there's a view of Yardley, Hay Mills, Small Heath, Bordesley and the city centre from there.

g/b

If you want something for the 'Down to Earth Brum Tourist Guide' - should be spot on O0
Integrity is non negotiable

Paul2014

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
The highest spot in the WM is actually Turner's Hill. (it has a radio mast and is visible from junction 2-3 of the M5.) Unfortunately, there is no public access to the very top.

There are many good places to get views over Birmingham. There's the new library, Barr Beacon, the Lickeys to name a few.
  Even at Hednesford Hills you can see the skyline of Birmingham in the distance!

planetmalc

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »
The highest spot in the WM is actually Turner's Hill. (it has a radio mast and is visible from junction 2-3 of the M5.) Unfortunately, there is no public access to the very top.

Bury Hill Park   -   which is very close to Turner's Hill   -   is open to all and has splendid views of Birmingham in its entirety.     The #120 bus drops you at its foot.

There are many good places to get views over Birmingham. There's the new library, Barr Beacon, the Lickeys to name a few.

Another place that USED to be a good viewpoint, offering a rare 360 degree panorama, is [censored] Hill in Rubery, but I went there yesterday for the first time in about 20 years and was disappointed to find that the the trees on the north side of the hill have been allowed to grow so high that they now obscure nearly all of the view of the majority of Birmingham.    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not worth a visit if you're in the area, but most of its near-unique appeal has now disappeared. :'(

planetmalc

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
I've thought of another two high spots, not far from where you live, Relisys.       

Head up Coventry Road to Wagon Lane, Sheldon.      Go about a quarter-of-a-mile down it and you'll come to some grassland on the right.       Make your way down to the far end of this and you'll see that the land on the right-hand side rises sharply; there might be a decent view of Sheldon, Yardley and Acocks Green from the top.

In Small Heath, near to the Blues' ground, there's Kingston Road and it has some high parkland on its north side, overlooking Small Heath, Bordesley, Duddeston and the City Centre.       The Council have built a cute henge on the top of the mound and it might be possible to stand your camera on top of this, obviating the need to lug a tripod up there.

happytalkdreamworker

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
good view from top of new library of birmingham, just outside Shakespeare Room

LEN

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »
I am pretty sure that the Lickey Hills are the highest point, used to go there many a time in the good old days for picnics

planetmalc

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
I am pretty sure that the Lickey Hills are the highest point, used to go there many a time in the good old days for picnics

They are, Len, but, strictly speaking, most of the Lickeys aren't in Birmingham (but I think a portion of Rednal Hill IS, so that would be the highest point in brum).

DavidWilliams

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »

Bury Hill Park   -   which is very close to Turner's Hill   -   is open to all and has splendid views of Birmingham in its entirety.     The #120 bus drops you at its foot.
 I agree I know that area well you can actually go onto the top of tower road then into oakham rd there are walkways around and views can be obtained over Birmingham,barr beacon,cannock,poss the Wrekin,malverns,clees ,clent ,,lickies of course you require a good clear day for the best results

Another place that USED to be a good viewpoint, offering a rare 360 degree panorama, is [censored] Hill in Rubery, but I went there yesterday for the first time in about 20 years and was disappointed to find that the the trees on the north side of the hill have been allowed to grow so high that they now obscure nearly all of the view of the majority of Birmingham.    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not worth a visit if you're in the area, but most of its near-unique appeal has now disappeared. :'(   

planetmalc

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:24 PM »

Thanks for that, David, I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in that area. O0

planetmalc

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 04:53:17 PM »
Judging by the neglect of Brum's (all too few) high spots, it seems as though the Council don't fully understand their amenity value.    If you look at the view from the top of one of them, one of the things that immediately strikes you is just how green Birmingham is  -  it's awash with trees!     Why is it then that they seem to think that we're so short of trees that it's OK for our high spots to become buried by the trees that are allowed to flourish on them?

I've already moaned about C-o-c-k Hill earlier in this thread, and have recently visited the top of the ski lift at the Ackers adventure site, only to find that it has become completely overgrown with trees that have destroyed the once panoramic view; moreover, it looks as though steps have been taken to prevent access to the summit!

The henge on top of the mound in Bordesley's Kingston Park (which had an unobstructed panoramic view when it was constructed) has lost everything on the north side thanks to uncontrolled tree growth, and large trees dotted around elsewhere are beginning to spoil the view in other directions.

The last time I visited the south (Barnt Green) side of the Lickeys, a purpose-built viewing platform situated there had begun to be obstructed by trees that weren't being pruned back.     What's the point of building amenities like this and then allowing unfettered nature to spoil them? >:( 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy