Author Topic: Selly Oak, and St Marys C of E School  (Read 17266 times)

suerone

Selly Oak, and St Marys C of E School
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Does anyone remember St Mary's I was there from the 1950's Miss. Nock was the Headmistress, and my last teacher was Mr. Tunnicliffe.  Would love to hear off anyone who remembers the old school

Pamela

Re: Selly Oak, and St Marys C of E School
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
Hi Suerone, I think I am the only one on the forum from Selly Oak so you may not get any answers, I didn't go to that school I went to school in Weoley Castle, but I went to St Mary's Church,the Brownies,Guides and church youth club. I remember all Selly Oak shops down the Bristol Road,the library and  the Oak cinema from the late 40's through to late 60's
   Pam

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
Hi Suerone

Welcome to the forum, I think Pamela is correct we don't have many on the forum from Selly Oak. Though some might know it pretty well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:14 PM »
I also lived fairly close but went to stirchley school then selly park. However do not give up hope because someone may have attended or a new member could well have memories.

suerone

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
I would love to see some photos of the old St Mary's School in Selly Oak, I was there from 1955 until I was 11, we never really seemed to learn a lot there, and were taken to St Mary's Church for every church event, but it was still a lovely old school, the lollipop man was called Mr. Andrews and he used to cross us across the Bristol Road.  Also my Grandfather Albert Price had the Barber Shop at 745 Bristol Road Selly Oak, next door to the pawn shop and there was a pub the other side of it, the bus stop was outside the shop.  Would love to hear off anyone who has any memories of Selly Oak. I lived there from 1950. :)

Pamela

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »
suerone
Did you read my reply #1

There are a few photos on this web site of Selly Oak, just the corner of your school
http://www.photobydjnorton.com/GTC/SellyOak.html

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/BirminghamInColour.html
One photo of the underground toilets

Pam

suerone

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
Yes I read your reply, will look on that site. Thanks Sue

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Hi Suerone

I've been taking a look through my photos, I can do you a photo of St Mary's Church but not the school, Where was the school located? I can tell you that the pub next door to your grandfathers ship was the Prince of Wales. I can't do a photo of that either, but I will keep looking.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Phil, the school was up a bit from Harborne Lane (going towards Northfield) on the corner of Frederick Road

(It moved into Lodge Hill Road in 1967)

Pam

suerone

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »

Thanks very much, I have a photo of St Marys Church, but not one of the old School, I know whilst I was there they celebrated their centenary and there were a lot of celebrations and we dressed up as they would have done 100 years before.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look.  My family came from Selly Oak/Bournbrook, my Dad worked at Wards in Dale Road, and we lived in Dale Road.

Thanks Again
Sue

Pamela

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
Sue
If you can get hold of a Booklet  "Selly Oak and Weoley Castle in old picture postcard" by Andrew Maxam there is a picture of the school in about 1910
Andrew Maxam can be found in Linden Road Smethwick, on telephone and E-mail
Haven't found anymore up to date pictures of the school yet
Two neighbourhood friend went to the school Diane and Susan Titley,maybe before your time

Pam

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy