Author Topic: Selly Oak, and St Marys C of E School  (Read 17271 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Selly Oak, and St Marys C of E School
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
Sue

At least I can do you a photo of Dale Rd, did your dad work for Morgans?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
Phil
Sue said her dad worked at Wards in Dale Road,  #9

WH Wards were and engineering factory

suerone

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into it.  I was at the school from 1955 until about 1960, when I started school my first class was in a place they called the Old Peoples Hall  which was around the corner just past Muriels Shop, my first teacher was Miss Griffin and then it was Miss Monk.  Thanks again
Sue

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »
Pamela & Sue

You will have to excuse me, as I keep saying my eyesight is getting worse by the day.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »
I think the Peoples Hall belonged to the church, we used it for dances from the Youth club, behind it was a wooden hut where the Brownies,Guides, Youth club and Boys Brigade held their meetings

ads1066

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
Hi Suerone Ref: St Marys C of E School, I remember the old school at the top of Fredrick rd, i went to the school only for a few months, but my sister was there for 3 years, when we was there (1979) the school was in 2 sections, I was in the 'New School' and my sister was in the old school--it was demolished about 1982-3 when the whole area was redeveloped. The 'New School' was at the top end of Lodge Hill rd along " Bullivant Boulevard" as we used to name it!! we lived on Gibbins Road and i could see ' St Mary's from my bedroom window along with the Church spire.
Sports days we used the playfield next to the church, at the back of Malaysia Hall-used to be along the Bristol Road. It may be an idea to contact the school for any pictures of the new & old school-i do remember one of the teachers there built a lovely model of the old school and seeing lots of pictures of the school too. it was a typical small Victorian school building where the infants were kept, i think it had 3 classrooms, A large Hall with cupola tower and a small school-yard. The 'New School' was the main base where a few more infants were kept and was the Junior school proper, also at Lunchtime the old school infants would come over to our school, and sometimes for assemblies too.
I will try and have a good dig around to find any school pictures, i did recall somewhere i had some really old snaps of Gibbins Road just after they built the houses there before the war, kindly given to me by an elderly neighbour when we 1st moved there. Good Luck  O0

suerone

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
Hi thanks for the photo, my Dad worked at Wards he worked there for many years he was a toolsetter.  My Mom worked at Pilsburys Pet Shop which was just up Bristol Road opposite the old George Masons, there was a clothes shop next door called Woodwisses, not sure how you spell that.  Pilsbury also opened a Horticultural Shop next door and Mom worked there as well. :)  Sue

Pam S

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
Hello Sue Ive only just found this forum but thought Id reply anyway.I went to St Marys from 1958  to 1964 and remember Miss Nock and Mr Tunicliffe (who also taught my older brother).There was also Mrs Phelps (Fatty Phelps) the dinner lady and Mrs Wolstencroft? the school secretary.Im afraid I dont remember any other teachers. I do remember going to the playing field for PE and sports day and regular services at St Marys Church and I still have the standard school class photos.

Does anyone remember St Mary's I was there from the 1950's Miss. Nock was the Headmistress, and my last teacher was Mr. Tunnicliffe.  Would love to hear off anyone who remembers the old school

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »
hi Pam  welcome to the forum would you like to put your school photo up on the forum its easy to do you never know you might find a few school Friends  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

carol evans

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
Hiya, Im new to this, but went to St Marys, Frederick Road, after going to the Peoples Hall on Oak Tree Lane, from when I was 4 till leaving at 11, in 1958. I would love to see any photos of the pupils + school from that time, as there seems to be a lack of them online. Thanks.

Pam S

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »
Hi Sue

I have some old class photos from 1959-1965 but Im not sure its in order to publish pictures of other people .
Whats the general opinion?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy