Author Topic: Brums White Minority  (Read 7981 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Brums White Minority
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »
hi john you may remember this it was on the corner of begrave road and Mosley road it was a hot dog truck hot dogs tea coffee it was all most by the Mosley flicks it was on a slip road to the railways a hot dog was 9 pence thats about 4p and a tea was 3p he did not do hamburgers he was there till about 3 in the morning the night bus used to stop there and get there tea cans filled and all so can you remember about 1951 trolleybus going a long the Mosley road using the old tram over heads and can you remember the trams that went down leapole street i think it was the number 49
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 12:09:58 PM »
Roy, I remember the hot dog stand it was on the corner of Highgate Road just next to the British Rail works department depot. When I used to use the Belgrave pub over the road the bar was used by a lot of the workers whilst waiting to go on shift. When Harold the gaffer of the Belgrave kicked everyone out at 10.30. they went over the road and had a cup of tea and a hot dog until the vans picked them up to start their shift.

I think when they finally closed him down he moved to the corner of Stoney Lane and Stratford Road. that little section that was left stranded by the new road.

Didn't the 49 bus come out of town along Pershore Street past St Martins Flats up Leopold St along Moseley Rd to Moseley Village. Then this is the part I'm not sure of did it terminate there and come back to town as the 48 down Sailsbury Rd, Willows Rd and Gooch St into town or was that a separate service all together.

phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »
Phil & Roy....Youre both right and both wrong,  the 48, use to go through Balsall Heath, Gooch st. up to Lincon st. then on to Mosley village, on to kings Heath and the Maypole,
I think the 49 did the same but as you say up Leopold st turn up on to the Mosley Rd, then on to mosley,( I think, not sure,) but you got the 48 if you wanted to go to the Maypole,
The 48, and the 49 where seperate services.
Roy-ben/Phil,  do you remember Freds the cafe on the left under the bridge, he had 1000's of holiday cards on the wall, and if you laugh, you had to pay a penny for the childrens home, he made the best bread and butter pudding in B/ham,,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

frederick

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
 hi every one      i used to go to the indian restaurant on the moseley rd usually after being out for a drink i remember it was something differant    O0    and the hot dog truck was a regular stop for a hot dog   :laugh:
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »
John, Fred Dawkins cafe on the corner of Kyrwicks Lane was at a junction with Larches Street, where I spent part of my childhood and then later part my adult life, Fred was a miserable old [censored] with a heart of gold. 75% of his customers were Irish building workers who came in every night and had a dinner on tick till payday.  He always got paid because if they didn't pay there be be no dinners the following week. Did you ever have a cup of tea there ( I always had coffee). I'm afraid I didn't trust that tea machine of his I think he rescued it from the ark. Well he was an old navy man.

John if you want to discuss old times start a new thread this is not the thread for that sort of discussion. I am happy to discuss that sort of topic anytime.

phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 02:30:45 PM »
 will hop picking do for a start    :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

john2000

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »
Phil, I started a thread= Yesterday when I was young......I think it's still on here some where, ??
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »
John

Its on the history forum, so I will adjourn to there.

phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy