Author Topic: Paramount/Odeon theatre, New St  (Read 2844 times)

dalem

Paramount/Odeon theatre, New St
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for photographs, information and stories about the Paramount/Odeon theatre in New Street. I worked there from 1974 to 1988 as a technician/projectionist. I moved to the Alexandra theatre when the Odeon closed to live shows. I spent the best and most fun years working at the Odeon. I would like to do a project about the history of the Paramount/Odeon so all photographs and information is welcomed.
thank you, Dale

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Paramount/Odeon theatre, New St
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Hi Dalem

Welcome to you, we have one or two projectionists that contribute to the forum. I think the one you need to talk to would be ChrisB you can see his posts here you may even know him.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dalem

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »
cheers Phil.
I don't have the first photo 'Fire over England' I think it reads? Pity it's so small. The foyer photo I do have. I will check out ChrisB. Thanks again
Dale

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:02 PM »
Dale

the problem is that photo have to be no more than 80k to be uploaded to the forum, can you not blow them up a little, I know the resolution is very low as well but you might be able to enlarge them a little.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paulina

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:12:55 PM »
 :D :)  I remember the Odeon as the cinema.  Saw many movies there and the organist used to come up, seeming from the floor, before the film began.  Great.

dalem

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
:D :)  I remember the Odeon as the cinema.  Saw many movies there and the organist used to come up, seeming from the floor, before the film began.  Great.

The organist was called Steve Tovey. We renovated the Compton organ which had been left abandoned and hidden under the stage for many years. Steve did a great job getting the organ back to working order and we had many organ shows featuring a variety of old theatre organists (most are long gone now). The Compton was sold to Penistone organ trust (check their web site) in 1989 after the Odeon closed to live shows
Steve Tovey is still active and plays around the country.

dalem

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »
Dale

the problem is that photo have to be no more than 80k to be uploaded to the forum, can you not blow them up a little, I know the resolution is very low as well but you might be able to enlarge them a little.

Ok Phil thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
Dale

If you send a PM to ChrisB the forum will automatically send an email to him with the contents of your message as long as he has the facility switched on.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dalem

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »

I have just sent a PM to him. Many thanks
 / Dale

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy