Author Topic: Nechells Tree Lovers League  (Read 4070 times)

nechellscoalman

Nechells Tree Lovers League
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
Did anyone else get a 'Tree Lovers League' badge in the 1960's?
Seems ironic when the council was in the process of concreting over the inner city.

planetmalc

Re: Nechells Tree Lovers League
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
A lot of the inner city is now green-beyond-belief, compared to the old days.    Treat yourself to a long trip around it all, courtesy of Google StreetView.  O0 
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
Hi Pete

There seems to be quite a few very clean looking children there for the back streets of Nechells in the 60's, they must have shipped them in. I understand the badges are fetching a few bob now from collectors.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tony armstrong

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
the only thing turning nechells green are all the deserted works premises and neglect by birmingham council no signs of a supermarket i suppose they might count wing yips about as close as it gets. >:(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »
I don't know Tony, it certainly looks a lot greener that the way I remember it as a lad, even the recreation grounds were covered in ash and the only place you found greenery were graveyards and the larger parks.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Colin27

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
Just came across this. I know no one has replied for a while but here goes. I also got a badge of a member of the Tree Lovers League. I attended Cromwell Street School from 1960-66 and a number of times helped on tree planting. As I recall these were on the tower block side of Cromwell Street where Severn, Medway and Thames houses were located but the momeory may be playing tricks on me.
Phil, I have dug out some old school team photos, cricket and football from 65/66 and I will try and upload them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:19 AM »
Colin

Please do try to upload your photos, 65/66 was a little after my schooldays, but I'm sure there will be those who were at school around those times who will be especially interested.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
 Phil            Just seen this thread and your answer post 2.Not all kids in the 50-60s were scruffy urchins.I was always made to be presentable ,and all my school mates were.Dont know what your area was like.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

4orchard

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
Yes my mother was always telling me to put a clean vest on in case i got run over

astoness

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 11:53:16 AM »
Yes my mother was always telling me to put a clean vest on in case i got run over

it was always put clean underwear on with us ;D  a saying i bought my kids up with :D

lyn

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
Lyn,lived the first 10 years of my life( 39-49) in Vauxhall &Nechells.My mother always had me and my brother in clean vest and pants every 3 days,my G/Mother did washing every day for the family while they were at work.Keep clean Ed.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy