Author Topic: Druids Heath and The Maypole  (Read 55467 times)

townie

Re: Druids Heath and The Maypole
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »

The E57 is on the Alcester Rd South from city just past Warstock Rd towards the Maypole.

Thanks Coastal. Don't think I ever went there, to far from town
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Gingernut

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2017, 04:29:03 AM »
We moved to Druids Heath, when there was nothing except Bells Lane school past the park and we were surrounded by fields.We moved into Pegleg Walk when I was 7 having my 8th birthday soon after. When we got up our first morning there, some cows had come from across the road to have a look around. Many happy memories from there. I worked in the corner shop from when I was 12 until I left school on Saturdays.. First for the Woodleys then the Mcganns. I remember them building the garage, club, shops and pub and we spent many hours playing on the building sites or in the fields, making dens. I remember all the celebrations when the shool was renamed Theodore Pritchett. It was a lovely place to live until I was about 16 when we moved further up the estate to a four bedroomed house in Petitt Close, the estate seemed to become a rougher place to live then.    Someone had a laugh naming the streets on the estate I reckon... Pegleg Walk indeed ! :D

Coastal

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
We moved in to a newly built house in Netheravon Close near the school, during the school holidays of 1966.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

baz

« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
It's nice to see they kept some of the old street names on Druids Heath. Netheravon Rd used to be on my paper round when it was all prefabs, in the 50s.
I agree with Gingernut. A mate of mine moved into a brand - new flat in Baverstock house, amid much excitement. The place soon went "down the pan" though.

brummylove

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »
Has anyone lived at Louise croft, druids heath, and went to maypole school up to 1976? I also wento sir Theodore pritchet as a primary school kid. Do you remember the two little shops ? I can't remember the named of roads as I moved away in 79.

Bellmeadow

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
Hello.I lived in Pound Rd and i went to both Sir Theodore and Maypole schools.My maiden name was Fry. I remember all of the shops opposite the old Gladiator pub. Does anyone remember the apt store and the butchers shop? We had a Labrador called Major and he would wander off down to the butchers shop and sit outside until they gave him a bone. ;D  When he came with us to the outdoor on the corner they would give him a bar of chocolate! The head teacher at Sir Theodore was called Mr. Griffiths and he was Welsh,he was a lovely man. From there I went to Maypole school and it was quite new then. The uniform was quite strict then and we all had to have either black or brown sensible shoes and a briefcase ! Also I had to wear a cape with gold buttons and chains across the front. I don't know how my parents managed to keep up with it all as I was one of four children!!

Coastal

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
I had a garage in pound road, behind the shops (now behind the doctors) and as I moved to Druids in 1966 it was still a building site, long before the Gladiator (what a dump) was built with the little off licence attached, the chippy was great in them days, when you walked up the path towards the shops the smell was enticing, and I think the owner was German.
The tarmac path that runs from the more recent outdoor towards the J&I school and parallel with Bells Lane is the route of the old lane (hence the hedges) when you get to the brook (now though a tunnel) it veered off to the right towards the long gone petrol station, and through Bells Farm then back towards the 50 terminus.

countrylad

« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
I remember  the Gladiator, I went in there a few times in the mid seventies. Bar down stairs had a live band on a Sunday night.

Does anyone remember an old gent that looked a bit eccentric, always on the dance floor. He had a Sherlock Holmes Pipe, tweed jacket or sometimes a rain mac. Always had a box of Swan Vestas matches in his hand and regularly re lit his pipe as he danced around the whole of the floor producing clouds of smoke.   

Coastal

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »
Downstairs was called The Dive and it went on to live up to the name.

countrylad

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
I couldn't remember the name but agree, it really went down hill. 

brummylove

« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
Hi bellmeadow. I wento sir Theodore school with the head MR Griffiths. I then went to maypole school. I also had the cape with the gold buttons, and had a briefcase. I started just as the first headmaster left. I think his name was Mr walker. My brother started when the school first opened. Surname Waldron. We lived in Louise croft, moved in them just after they were built. Great to hear your memories, great trip back in time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy