Author Topic: Druids Heath and The Maypole  (Read 55471 times)

brummylove

Re: Druids Heath and The Maypole
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
I started sir Theodore when I was about 8 I was born on 1961. It was called sir Theodore pritchet primary school at that time. When I left to move up to maypole comp, it was still called the same then.so it must have been just before 70.

Bellmeadow

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
We were good friends with Deborah Halford. She lives in Australia and has a grandson.

Bellmeadow

« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
She lived in Bellmeadow too. We lived at the other end of the block of houses that she did.

brummylove

« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »
Oh my god! That's amazing.. I'm so pleased to hear how she is...we met at sir Theodore and stayed friends in maypole..my brother lived in the flats that overlooked you houses. I used to call for her when I was over that way...she was out a lot with friend......maybe it was you! ;D  amazing...

Bellmeadow

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »
Yes she was most likely out with her best friend,my sister Stella. Good old days

Mrbpb

« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
Hello Riverboy

I came across your post when searching for references to a blacksmith / shoeing forge in the Maypole / Druids Lane area. I am working as a photographer volunteer on a project run the  University of Birmingham called the Birmingham Grid 2017 which is attempting to re-take a 1000 or more photographs of Birmingham that were taken originally by a lady called Phyllis Nicklin during the late 50's through to the early 70's. One of Phyllis's pictures that I would like to volunteer to re-take is of a Shoeing Forge (dated 1959) that is described as being in Druids Lane. The forge is long gone and the original photograph itself does not offer to many clues as to where precisely the photograph was taken.

Would you be able to help me to identify the exact location of the forge?

The original picture can be accessed via the project's web site ... if you search on birmingham photographic grid [/size] (I don't seem to be able to post a link) you should be able to see a link to the project's home page. From there the pink Nicklin Project Locatons button will take you to a page that lists the areas of Birmingham that were photographed by Phyllis ... from there you will see under Other Areas a button for Druids Heath & Maypole which will take you to a list of locations. The forge location is MP 7 Maypole, Shoeing Forge, Druids Lane, Alcester Road. A click on the description will take you to the original photo. The photo page does contain a Google Map reference of the picture's location but I have found many of these to be inaccurate. On the page you will see the names of the volunteers against each photo ... my name is Brian Burnett (I live locally in Hollywood).

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Brian

Coastal

« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
I think it was at the crossroads, on the corner of  Alcester Road South and Druids Lane (before there was a by-pass) So on the left as you turn into Druids Lane, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Have you tried Google Earth and click on the 1945 view (not very clear but interesting)
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Mrbpb

« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
Thanks for this.

I looked again on the 1945 view on Google Earth and now that I know where to look I can see shapes that could be a match with the house, and the forge buildings next to it, in the photograph.
In the original photograph there is double semi detached house in the distance behind the forge which, if you are correct, would be the first house on the left going down the Old Alcester Road (today the first house immediately after the Sainsbury's island). If I can match today's house with the one in the photo then that will confirm the location.

Thanks again ... you have been a great help

O0

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
Hi Mrbpb

The attached map gives the location of the Smithy at the Maypole, also if you follow this link,

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.4047&lon=-1.8910&layers=6&b=1

it also shows the location, though if you slide the blue button to the left of the map it will overlay a modern aerial photo over the map thus locating the forge exactly.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baz

« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »
Born in '41 I grew up in the area and have vivid memories of the blacksmith's forge.
Nobody seems to have mentioned the little shop that was at the other end of the group of buildings, it was on the corner of Druids lane and Alcester road.

Coastal

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »
When you compare the two maps, it looks as though the building next to the forge was more or less in line with the buildings on the Alcester Road opposite the Maypole shops, which would put it in the road of the island and on the little raised triangle and right turn lane (the filter lane from Druids Lane as it approaches the island) hope that makes sense because the lane is a lot wider than it was.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy