Author Topic: The old and new  (Read 4775 times)

pudding

Re: The old and new
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Hi Roy,Phil, Fred.

Roy,thank you for posting the link to the gas lamps in Malvern, I'll have to get over there when the snow is around and get a few pic's as the view would be like any of the old streets of Birmingham of the past.also I liked the clips of film relating to the workings of the timer of the old gas lamps,I like the cast alloy body of the unit with the brass gas valve activation mechanism,I wonder if they where ever manufactured and assembled in Birmingham?

Phil, the only conclusion I can come to relating to the height
 of the lamp post,is of whatever type bulb is fitted be it florescent,halogen,arc or the new LED is to give maximum ground area illumination.

Fred thank you for posting the pic.

Where there is a will there is a way

frederick

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »
Those old gas lamps must have left an impression on me I made one in the late 70s when I worked at Fisher & ludlow.

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

pudding

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
Fred,a nice bit of fabrication work there mate thanks for posting the pic,

I have often wondered what is the wattage output of a gas lamp?

don't know if any of you gentlemen has seen this film about the old gas lamps.

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-11091973-gas-lamp-lighter/MediaEntry/11605.html

Where there is a will there is a way

Joewoen

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
i think this is the only place that still has working gas lamps

http://youtu.be/VATYlai63nM

I went on a walking tour of London, always worth doing by the way. At the back of Covent Garden Opera House there is a little square where they still have gas lamps and down a tiny road beside it.
Very good for tourism.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
just out of intrest have a look at this
 London's burning: Gas lamp engineer keeps the city's historic centre  illuminated in classic Victorian style He could almost be a Victorian-era workman,  tending to the gas lamps beside the old buildings of central London in the dead  of night.

While the city sleeps, Martin Caulfield  cleans and services the traditional lights, of which there are 1,600  remaining.

The 69-year-old British Gas engineer has been  illuminating London's historical heart since 1982.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056431/Londons-burning-gas-lamp-engineer-keeps-citys-historic-centre-illuminated-true-Victorian-style.html#ixzz2A3zEpk5g
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy