Author Topic: Rag and Bone man  (Read 4401 times)

townie

Re: Rag and Bone man
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Phil They are still used in London. Well at least one is and a new generation is being groomed. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
Dennis

I don't doubt they still have horse & cart rag & bone men in London, they are probably subsidised by the government to make the streets look quaint for the tourists.

Whilst we have to content with all sorts in tatty old transit pick ups going round the streets picking up anything metal that you have been foolish enough to leave in your front garden or drive for more than a couple of moments.

Then we have these chaps, mind you it's been a while since I saw a tatter pushing an old pram.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
Phil That's a fantastic photo of the chap pushing the pram  O0

townie

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »

This rag and bone man must be doing good. he's got rubber wheels. ;D

Scipio

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »

Rag and Bone man
Dont know if this thread has been coverd before if not here goes.
When i was young i can remember the rag and bone man coming up the street with his horse and cart (steptoe and son to a tee) still watch it.. It all depended on how many rags you took out if it was a few, you got a balloon or two, if you took loads out you got a goldfish.plus manure for grandads garden. Great Days long gone.

Townie , did you not see my post about r&g men , just after I signed up on this site . I got balloons oh yes they were in a packet marked Durex I was about 6yo at the time . My old gal when barmy got the local copper involved he went off looking for him . We never heard
anymore
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »

Dennis

I don't doubt they still have horse & cart rag & bone men in London, they are probably subsidised by the government to make the streets look quaint for the tourists.

Whilst we have to content with all sorts in tatty old transit pick ups going round the streets picking up anything metal that you have been foolish enough to leave in your front garden or drive for more than a couple of moments.

Then we have these chaps, mind you it's been a while since I saw a tatter pushing an old pram.

Phil these people in transit vans will knock anything off , earlier this year we put a collection bag out, for what was supposed to be
the army . Proper bag marked up etc , put it out on the drive , green transit came along about 7.30am bag disappeared, about an hour later the correct van went past . After the second van had gone past , I thought if that happens at every address , the army won't be collecting much
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
We get that a lot around here, we never put filled bags outside for collection. A good percentage of those are rip offs anyway as long as they give a donation to the named charity they can keep most of the profit. If you have a favourite charity check out your local high street shop and take it in yourself, at least you can be partially sure that the proceeds are going to the right place. We took three bags of assorted gear into the Macmillan shop today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »

We get that a lot around here, we never put filled bags outside for collection. A good percentage of those are rip offs anyway as long as they give a donation to the named charity they can keep most of the profit. If you have a favourite charity check out your local high street shop and take it in yourself, at least you can be partially sure that the proceeds are going to the right place. We took three bags of assorted gear into the Macmillan shop today.

Charity shops get the bulk of our stuff Phil , this happened to be a one off . Learned a good lesson though
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »

Charity shops get the bulk of our stuff Phil , this happened to be a one off . Learned a good lesson though

Scipio Yes I read your post and found it highly amusing  ;D This time Scipio you may get lucky and get a packet of flavoured ones ;D If you give to the rag and bone man you have one less on the dole.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy