Author Topic: Hudsons/Wallace Green Costumiers New Street Birmingham  (Read 4673 times)

sdime

Re: Hudsons/Wallace Green Costumiers New Street Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »
Hello Brenda That is interesting that you worked in the Helen Parker Shop. I always thought it was just childrenswear. As you saw from my posts my great grandparents had the shop previously to Helen Parker. I didn't know any of this until I started doing a family tree and found the connection. My parents didn't mention it and my mother bought my sister and I outfits in there for a special do I remember! Before you worked there.  Did you know Wallace Green in New Street, I posted about that as well as my grand parents had that shop.

What may also interest you that Jo Ann Good a presenter on BBC Radio London (94.9) often talks about her time as an actress on guess what Crossroads. She didn't and doesn't have children so you may not have met her. 

brenda deakin

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
hi sdime thanks for the interesting reply. id never heard of wallace green until coming onto this forum but then having said that i didnt really go into the centre much until i started work at helen parker as we sometimes took boys items to a taylor in cherry street (cant remember his name but it was an elderly gentleman). if they needed altering for customers. we did however have a sewing room at helen parker where the ladies clothing were altered. 

ErdingtonBoy

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »
Ahhh - Hudson's Bookshop. I remember it well and arrived here because I was hoping to find a photo of the shopfront as it looked in in early 60's. Thanks to those who uploaded the very useful exterior shots. As a young lad I was fascinated by submarines and Hudsons were wonderful at finding and ordering many for me . . . a lot of which have since become very hard to find. In later years, I repeated the exercise when I wanted botany and zoology books as a result of being inspired by a teacher at HGS. I'm now looking for information about another shop I used in the city centre, so I'll try to find a thread where there might be some information. Thanks again for the photos of Hudsons.