Author Topic: Hudsons/Wallace Green Costumiers New Street Birmingham  (Read 7055 times)

sdime

Hudsons/Wallace Green Costumiers New Street Birmingham
« on: November 15, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
 :) I wonder if any of the kind people out there can help me. I went into Waterstones in New Street Birmingham (the old bank) on a visit recently and noticed a large poster on the wall over the till of Hudsons as it used to look with a bit of Wallace Green Dress Shop next door with a bit of the window showing. My grandparents used to own Wallace Green for many years and I am wondering where I can get hold of a copy of this picture. I have been looking on all the web sites and library site. I think it was also published in a book by Alton Douglas but which book or it could have been from the Birmingham Photographic Archives. Does anyone have a copy of a photo of this corner of New Street. There was Popes on the corner, Days Shoe Shop, Hudsons and I think Wallace Green was next door to that with Baums Showroom above also showing in the picture. Any memories also welcome. I don't live in Brum any longer by the way. Hope someone can help.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Hudsons/Wallace Green Costumiers New Street Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
Hi sdime

Welcome to you. thats what we do best help folk if we can, here are some photos of the section of New Street that you describe. I hope they are of some use to you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sdime

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
Thank you Phil that is the exact photo (the second one you sent) that is up in Waterstones. Where does it come from and is there another bit of the shop in a photo? Probably a lot to ask!  That is amazing. It was the year my sister was born 1952! We did think it was taken in the 1950's.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
sdime

You might find this photo better suited to your purpose, it was taken c1952. I think you can find copies of the first photo you named in Alton Douglas's book Birmingham Shops, also in the Images of England Series Birmingham Shops & Shopping which has both photos.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sdime

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
 O0

Thanks again Phil that is an even better photo. I will try to get my sister to look at those books in Birmingham. Don't think my library will order them but its an amazing photo which we have never seen. My next look up is whether there is an old photo of my great grandparents shop which was in Broad Street in the 1920's/1930's where the old Helen Parker childrenswear shop used to be. I guess that will be a look at the photographic archives in the Birmingham Library if they have any. Thanks again. Love the Forum very interesting.  There was a photo of the old Clock at Five Ways with the building behind it, the Aluminium Federation used to own it in the 1960's and that is where I had my first job!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
sdime

Do you have the name or number of the Broad St shop as I have quite a few photos of Broad Street I could scan through.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
sdime

unfortunately 185-186 Broad Street is up the end of Broad Street that was not photographed as much as the town end. Although I was able to come up with one photo of the premises when it was "Helen Parkers". What you need is an early full frontage shot of St Immanuel's Parish Church and it might also show the shop as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sdime

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »

:) Thanks for that. I think that it was 189 Broad Street and as you say it wasn't photographed very much.The address was in a 1939 Kelly's Directory but I need to check a directory going further back. I think that Helen Parker was the place but what it looked like going back to the 1920's that would be interesting. They moved from the back to backs in Hurst Street to this more upmarket address so I understand. No one alive to ask now.  I don't even know what it was called when my great grandfather was alive, it could have been R Rosenthal & Co. Costumiers which was after my great grandmother. That's interesting that there was a church nearby. I will look for that in photos to see. 

mikejee

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
From 1932 Kellys:
185 Matthews F.&Son,ladies outfitters
186 Rosenthal R. & Go. ladies' tailors
IMMANUEL PARISH CHURCH

sdime

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
Thanks for that entry of 1932 much appreciated.

brenda deakin

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »
in reply to the posts and photo of helen parker in broad street i worked there from 1972 till 1975 when i got married .great times we had. most of the customers we served were upper class some of them were the cross-roads actors as the program was filmed in the old ATV studios which was nearby.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy