Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188987 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
Brian

I have no doubt you have seen these before, but there may be others who remember the locality that have not.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I do have all of those in my collection, but as you say, they will be of interest to many other people.  The first one of your set is the Silver Street one I referred to in my previous posting.  The early shot of Grange Road is one of my favourites as it shows the block I lived in on the right hand side of the picture.  That was our corner shop on the right, where York Road crosses Grange Road.

Have a look at two items I have posted on YouTube: (my channel name is same - 9teen48)
"This Is Kings Heath - 1960" is a short 8mm colour film of the High Street in 1960 which I transferred from a VHS copy
"High Street King's Heath - Pictures of Yesteryear" is a slideshow of old postcards of the High Street.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 11:17:07 PM »
Here is another shot of the steam tram depot in Silver Street King's Heath

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
Hi 9teen48

I've also got that one, here a few more that you might or might not have. One is a later photo of York Rd, the next one sports a once common High St name that is no longer with us. And the last one should be easily recognised.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
Love the pic of woolies in Kings Heath,spent a fair bit in there over the years,sadly not enough.

It is some kind of Pound Shop now.

Sad  ;D

Depper

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:33 AM »
What superb old photo's of Kings Heath.  I was born in Kings Heath my Grandpārents Harry and Maggie Else lived at 45 Bank Street.  My Mum went to Colmore Road School and then went to work the Coop in High Street. Iwas christened at All Saints Church.  I learnt to swim at Institute Road Baths now sadly demolished. My mum had her wedding reception in Kings Heath Park. My grandad had an allotment in Uffcome Park? andwent to the Railway Pub. I had my haircut by Sid Glass? shop nearby.
Lovely memories.  Hope to see more photo's of Kings Heath.
I wonderwhat happened to my brother's girl friend? Prudence Twigg Newsagents in the High Street.
Roger

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »
Hi Depper

When are we talking about with Prudence Twigg's Newsagents on the High St As after a quick scan the only Twiggs Newsagent I can find Thomas Twigg at 7 Alcester Rd South and that was between Drayton Rd an Kingsfield Rd.

If this is not the shop  then if you can give me a time period I will take a closer look and see if I can work out what happened to it. But if it is the correct one then I think this is it today

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Depper

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
Thanks Phil.  Yes that is the newsagent.  Her Father was Thomas Twigg. Woolies a bab ofbroken biscuits after swimming on a Saturday morning in Institute Baths. Memories
Roger

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »
Depper

These couple of images might help to stir a few memories.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Depper

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »
Superb.  Again old memories.  Before going to Woolies for bag of broken biscuits.  Hot bovril in the Swimming Baths cafe.  Then down to Bank Street to see Grandparents. Later sent to Chowens for chocolate truffels.  5pm Sports Report, then to go and get the Argus(newspaper shop before the Tudor) then back and then down to the off licence to get a jug of beer.  Off licence near Grange Road. Younger being taken to see the Rabbits in Kings Heath Park.
Roger

9teen48

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 12:13:28 AM »
Roger,

Here is a 1950s postcard of Alcester Road South showing the shop in Phil's picture when it was Twigg's.   Also have a look at the thread on Chowen's Cake Shops to see a picture I posted of that shop location on the corner of York Road and High Street.  Are you thinking of Darlaston's newsagents, which was close to the Kingsway Cinema ?  There was an off licence in Bank Street, at the side of The Cross Guns pub.  The next nearest off licence to Bank Street & Grange Road was on the corner of Station Road and Westfield Road.  Hope this helps the flow of memories.

Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy