Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188968 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
Barney

Another explanation I have just found on the web posted by A Darren McBride who lived close to the Kings Head is on a similar theme as your own.

"Locally the pub has always been known as the "Knob". I did a little investigating to find out why it is known as the Knob. It turns out that directly outside where the pub is used to be the turning point for trams (which is like a rotating table, hence turns the tram round to go in the opposite direction) and was known as the knob"

As I said there are many differing explanations about, but it would be good to find out which one is true.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
Hi All,

Welcome to the forum Barney.  I seem to recall that a while ago I posted on this forum the same explanation given by Phil for The Knob, that it was because it was located on the crest of the hill. 

I have never heard of any Birmingham trams using a turntable at a terminus and think this is an unlikely explanation, because the trams could be driven from either end.  At the Alcester Lanes End terminus they reversed the trolley pole and the motorman walked to the other end of the tram and used the controller at that end to travel back towards the city.  Some tram termini had a turning loop, but not a rotating table.

I will check my old photos of the terminus to look for the other suggestion - the big ball on a pole, but I've never heard of that before.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »
Hi Brian

It seems strange that no one knows the real story. Have you any idea when people started calling it the Knob, do you know the date it was originally built.

In his book Andrew Maxim says that it was rebuilt in 1911 and that it's nickname is the Knob but gives no reason. Do you know if the pub it replaced was called the Kings Arms as well?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
Hi Phil,

I'd need to check if the original pub was also The King's Arms aka The Knob.  I believe that the electric tramway was extended from King's Heath to Alcester Lanes End and opened in January 1907, so if the pub was rebuilt in 1911 I may be able to find 'before' and 'after' postcards of the location.

In the meantime here are a few early postcard views of the location, one with a tram at the terminus and one without.  The third image shows the track crossover, where the trams arriving at Alcester Lanes End on the outbound track would cross to the inbound track adjacent to the pub.  The pole would then be turned and connected to the 'inbound' overhead.  The only evidence of 'knobs on poles' would be the finials at the top of the tram standards - the poles supporting the overhead wires.

Brian

mikejee

« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
It was still called the Kings Arms in 1900

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
Mike & Brian

Yes I checked in the 1903 Kelly's and as you say it was called The Kings Arms then. I just thought if it called been called by a different name it might have gave some clue to the nickname.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
Heres another photo of some prefabs from about the same time as the last ones I posted. This time on Vicarage Rd though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »
Hi Phil
Great pictures of the old pre-fabs O0 

The picture of Allens Croft Rd pre-fabs actually shows more of Brandwood Park Road leading up to Brandwood Road which was my old stomping ground.
To the right is Reaside Crescent ( my first true love lived there ) & on the left just behind the large trees is Bryndale Avenue where I was Born,..
The rooftops of the higher buildings in the background on the right are the flats in Dingle Mead ( my second true love lived there ) which led to the canal ( or the "Cut" as it was known ) which in itself was a short cut to Lifford Reservoir & countless hours of fishing & general messing about.
The photographer must have been standing on the railway embankment that runs along side Allens Croft Road.
I wish I had a pound for every time Iv,e walked up & down those two roads. Happy days :) 

Just worked it out & I would be £2,340 better off

As for the Kings Arms A.K.A. "The Knob" I spent a lot of time both in & outside that place, both man & boy, My old man always insisted it got it,s name due to the fact that the Nobility of Birmingham frequented the pub (which in it,s early days, I think, would have been a country pub) using the newly installed trams as their means of transport & enjoying a ride out, hence the "[censored]" which is how I always thought was the correct spelling of the word.

Bobby

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
Hi Brian

Nowhere near the Knob but this is an older photo of a steam tram on the Alcester Rd in Kings Heath. Care to hazard a guess where? I wouldn't have a clue.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

barney

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Hi Brian

Nowhere near the Knob but this is an older photo of a steam tram on the Alcester Rd in Kings Heath. Care to hazard a guess where? I wouldn't have a clue.

Phil
Not sure....... but it looks like it could be between KH and Moseley, near the Ambler Funeral place.

pickard.r

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »
Hi Barney/Phil

Just spent an hour or two on Google Street map & found where the picture was taken.
The two houses situated behind the steam tram are opposite the junction of Moor Green Lane & Alcester Road. Spot on Barney

Bobby

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy