Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188974 times)

Linjy

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
Is Balaclava Road the first road off Silver Street,if so that is the one.there was a row of cottages between the outdoor and the road leading off Silver Street.they were really far back from the road with very long narrow front gardens,whereas nan n granddads house was on the road with a long garden at the back .we used to climb the big apple tree next door and be able to see over the fire station wall.

9teen48

« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
Hi Linjy,

Phil's photo shows the off licence which was close to the alley next to Tommy Godwin's cycle shop.  That was at No. 20, highlighted yellow on the map below.  As Phil said, there was another outdoor at No. 58, closer to Balaclava Road, also highlighted.  The newsagents near your grans' was at No. 25 (Richards in the mid-1950s).  The other well-known shop was Smallwoods at No. 47 on the corner of Silver Street and Fairfield Road.  Perhaps the map extract will help you recall the layout.

Brian

Linjy

« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
9teen48
Yay,my nan n granddads was number 29,an entry and two houses away,number 27 had an apple tree that my uncle,his mates and I(tomboy),used to climb and watch the firemen in the yard.You can just about distinguish the entry on your map.We used to climb to the entry roof and perch there to frighten anyone who came down the entry.My Nans house was the one next to the house marked a on your map.there was a clear corrugated roof built from the house to the washhouse,sort of a precursor to the modern conservatory I suppose.Ha Ha!Toilet down the garden at the rear of the washhouse,full of spiders .Such happy times at nan n granddads.

Linjy

« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
Hi 9teen48,
Looked at my previous post ,I forgot to say thank you,and although we used the newsagents as it was only two doors away,for some reason we never used the shop at number47.Any shopping was always done in the village as my nan called called the high street.The house was a two up,two down,but with a great attic with lots of treasures in it,including a wonderful rocking horse made for my uncle by an old soldier.Unfortunately my uncle didn't like it,so it was consigned to the attic.When my nan was going down to the village,she always said "don't go up tp the attic,the stairs aren't safe".As soon as the door closed we were up there riding that rocking horse ,taking it in turns to keep an eye open for Nans return.
Number 58 is definitely the outdoor we used to get our pop and crisps from.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
Hi Linjy

Another photo of Silver Street for you, this one from the 60's looking up the street from near Tommy Goodwins cycle shop.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Linjy

« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »
Thanks Phil,I think the square white building in the distance was the outdoor we got our pop n crisps from.

9teen48

« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »
Hi Linjy,

Thanks for sharing your memories of your Nan's home in Silver Street.  I lived in Grange Road but often went through Silver Street and Balaclava Road.  When I was at Kings Heath Junior School at Institute Road, I always cut through the alley by Tommy Godwin's shop, to get to York Road and then by the Midland Counties depot to Grange Road.  Some of my classmates lived in Silver Street. Glad you found the map useful.  I will have a look for a picture of the outdoor opposite your Nan's.  In the meantime, here is a photo of Smallwoods shop on the corner of Silver Street and Fairfield Road. 

Brian

Linjy

« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »
Hmmm,
Now I have a mystery to solve.On my granddads marriage certificate,it states his place of residence as 20,Silver Street,which it seems was the off licence at the top of the street.Anybody know the names of the people who kept it in 1927 ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
Linjy

From at least 1911 to 1937 and perhaps later the owners of 20 Silver Street were listed as Charles Cottrel at first and then later as Emily Cottrel.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Linjy

« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
Phil,
Thank you for that,how do I find out who lived at number 29 before my grandparents marriage in March 1927.My grandmothers place of residence on the certificate was 230 Grange Road.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »
Linjy

For commercial premises it's pretty easy, there are trade directory's that give that information for most years. They also give addresses for some private residents but that is by name and not by address like commercial properties.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy