Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188972 times)

cocacolakid

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
Hi Jazemine,

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help with a photo of Queensbridge School, but is this the shop you mean on Avenue Rd on the corner of grange Rd?

Phil..

That shop looks identical to the one on the corner of Silver St & Highbury Rd. Kings Heath.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #276 on: March 21, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
Malc

I don't think there is a shop at the Solver Street - Highbury Street junction and if there ever was one I don't think there would have been enough room to park cars on the frontage.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Malc

I don't think there is a shop at the Solver Street - Highbury Street junction and if there ever was one I don't think there would have been enough room to park cars on the frontage.
[/quote]
Hi Phil..

There definately is a shop on the corner of Silver St & Highbury Rd. My mother was born at 23 Highbury Rd. She moved to Castle Bromwich when she married, her  brother lived in 23 with his wife (my auntie) and my cousin when My Gran died, so I spent much time in Highbury Rd in my younger days. Also, when my mother was looking to buy a shop in 1948 one of the ones we went to look at with the prospect of buying, was the one she had known all her life, the one on the corner of her old rd and Silver St.  For what ever reason she did not buy that one. She ended up buying one in River St Balsall Heath, we moved in in 1949. (there is a picture of said shop on the forum)   Since posting the first message, I noticed a street name on the side of the building, I blew the pic up to 200%  and it looks like Silver St to me ?   Even if it is not, It looks very much the same as the one in Silver St/Highbury Rd. Next time I am that way, I will have a look for some distinguishing feature to check it out, and I will take a picture of the shop.
                                                                                                                                              Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
Malc

Here are two images from Google Earth, they shoe the two corners of Solver Street. The one that could have been a shop at one time is orientated the wrong way around to be the one in the first photo although it is a similar building but seeing as all these types of buildings were made from very few architects drawings that is not surprising.

The second image is orientated the correct way around, but is obviously not the same building and I don't think this one was ever a shop. Add to that the fact that the shop in question is still there and has been identified as such by Jazemine then I don't think there is much room for error though if you want I will put an image of the shop now up for you if you want to satisfy yourself that the right conclusion has been drawn.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2014, 04:37:08 PM »
Malc

Here are two images from Google Earth, they shoe the two corners of Solver Street. The one that could have been a shop at one time is orientated the wrong way around to be the one in the first photo although it is a similar building but seeing as all these types of buildings were made from very few architects drawings that is not surprising.

The second image is orientated the correct way around, but is obviously not the same building and I don't think this one was ever a shop. Add to that the fact that the shop in question is still there and has been identified as such by Jazemine then I don't think there is much room for error though if you want I will put an image of the shop now up for you if you want to satisfy yourself that the right conclusion has been drawn.

Hi Phil..

I have had a look on google earth, the pic you show is what used to be the shop I knew and spoke about. It is clearly a private house now, but you can clearly see that it was once a corner shop, and the similarity to the shop you originally posted in Grange Rd,   even the road sighn is in the same place. I guess you are right when you say they were probably designed by the same people.
                                                                                                                                  Malc.

stickman

« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
I am a member of the Kings Heath History Society.  We meet every month at Kings Heath Community Centre.  You may be interested to come along and to find out more about Kings Heath and it's surroundings.  Everyone is friendly so would get a warm welcome.  Please do visit the website and come down for a chat - http://www.kingsheathhistory.co.uk/

Hope this helps.  The was a shop which is now called Kings Heath Hydroponics.  It looks really old as it has a painted sign on it advertising Twinnings Tea.  It used to be a grocery store.

potblack

« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
My wife would appreciate any photos  of Queensbridge School, during the early 1950's.
Although taking photos was frowned upon, my wife did manage to take some but they didn't turn out.
These were the days of Gratispool films and they caused me to lose a lot of memories as well !

DEROYM

« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
In the 1960s the shop on the corner of Highbury road and Silver street was a grocer's and was
owned by a family called Price.

cocacolakid

« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
In the 1960s the shop on the corner of Highbury road and Silver street was a grocer's and was
owned by a family called Price.

Anyone know when the shop ceased to be a shop and became a private house?

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
Malc

All I can tell you is that in the latest edition of Kelly's Trade Directory that I have 73-74 number 40 Highbury Rd is still listed as a shop owned by S Price.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »
Malc

All I can tell you is that in the latest edition of Kelly's Trade Directory that I have 73-74 number 40 Highbury Rd is still listed as a shop owned by S Price.

Hi Phil.

Ok, thanks for the info.  If anyone has any knowledge of the shop later than these dates, I would be pleased to hear from you,  thanks.

Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy