Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188969 times)

Radleykel

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
Loved looking at these old photographs. I was born and grew up in Fairfield road- mrs Smallwood was a star! Often babysat my sister when my mum was having me. Thank you for putting these pics up x

Bridget

« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
Hi Phil
Great pictures of the old pre-fabs O0 

The picture of Allens Croft Rd pre-fabs actually shows more of Brandwood Park Road leading up to Brandwood Road which was my old stomping ground.
To the right is Reaside Crescent ( my first true love lived there ) & on the left just behind the large trees is Bryndale Avenue where I was Born,..
The rooftops of the higher buildings in the background on the right are the flats in Dingle Mead ( my second true love lived there ) which led to the canal ( or the "Cut" as it was known ) which in itself was a short cut to Lifford Reservoir & countless hours of fishing & general messing about.
The photographer must have been standing on the railway embankment that runs along side Allens Croft Road.
I wish I had a pound for every time Iv,e walked up & down those two roads. Happy days :) 

Just worked it out & I would be £2,340 better off

As for the Kings Arms A.K.A. "The Knob" I spent a lot of time both in & outside that place, both man & boy, My old man always insisted it got it,s name due to the fact that the Nobility of Birmingham frequented the pub (which in it,s early days, I think, would have been a country pub) using the newly installed trams as their means of transport & enjoying a ride out, hence the "[censored]" which is how I always thought was the correct spelling of the word.

Bobby

I remember the prefabs too. I lived in Bryndale Avenue from 1953 aged 18months until Nov 1964 , we lived opposite the church hall which at first was just waste ground the church hall and then church was built later, including the pub (The Ash Meadow) which was built on waste ground which we called the fields and played most days there, I was the eldest of 5 children. 3 sisters and a brother, We left to move to a new estate in Kings Norton called Primrose Hill, my parents always regretted moving and had said if they had stayed in Bryndale Ave they would have bought the house, they stayed on the estate until they bought their 1st house in Hall Green in 1975. Living in Bryndale Ave nearly everyone knew each other, I do remember the house's past the gully were owned by the fire service and occupied with firemen and their families

pickard.r

« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:58 AM »
Hi Bridget, welcome to the forum.

We must have been neighbours......Our old house was to the left of the gully you mentioned and to the right the houses were indeed reserved for the Fire and Police services...
If memory serves me right the Peach family lived in number 50, Humphries in 52,Niven in 54, pickard 56 and across the gully the Harrison family (Fireman) 58 and the George family (police) 60....
I remember the Church Hall and The Ash Meadow pub being built, the Church burned down and was rebuilt some years ago and the Pub demolished recently. We moved to Druids Heath in 1965 and, like your parents, mine always regretted it. What was your house number?

Bobby.
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Bridget

« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
Hi Bridget, welcome to the forum.

We must have been neighbours......Our old house was to the left of the gully you mentioned and to the right the houses were indeed reserved for the Fire and Police services...
If memory serves me right the Peach family lived in number 50, Humphries in 52,Niven in 54, pickard 56 and across the gully the Harrison family (Fireman) 58 and the George family (police) 60....
I remember the Church Hall and The Ash Meadow pub being built, the Church burned down and was rebuilt some years ago and the Pub demolished recently. We moved to Druids Heath in 1965 and, like your parents, mine always regretted it. What was your house number?

Hi Bobby, we lived at no. 34 the 3rd house on the left from the shops in yarningale road (before the new houses were built on the waste land). I remember the Peaches, there were quite a few of them, as I remember the eldest was called Barry, the twins were Robert and Anne, Robert's son was in one of my son's classes as they grew up. We used to live next door to the Morgans (opposite the Peaches)  the children were older than me, their names were Bruce and Rose, after they moved the Ryman's moved in, Teresa Ryman was my friend. Quite a few of the women used to work as casual silver service waitresses in Bryndale as did my Mom, some from your way, Mom worked with Mrs Bailey, Mrs Stott  and Mrs Welfords past the gully, I know there were others but can't remember their names, I went to school (St. Josephs)with Vera Lennon who came from a big family in Shalnecote Grove, I remember Barbara Ryall who was also from a large family and by coincidence  I ended up working with years later at Sun Alliance in Hall Green, I remember Mary McCallan from the maisonettes   set back in Bryndale Ave, between the Peaches and the Ryman's houses, Mary was 2 years older than me but we both went to the same schools, St. Joseph's then Bishop Challoners, I was the eldest of 3 sisters, Lynette, Anne, and Carol with more a less a year between us and a younger brother called Matthew, I bet we must have crossed paths all those years ago in Bryndale Avenue!!

Bridget

Bobby.

pickard.r

« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2014, 07:18:52 PM »
Hi Bridget,
 Great memories eh? :)  I can only agree that we must have crossed paths......Mrs McCallan (or was it McCallum) used to look after me during School Holidays while my Mom was at work (Cadburys) her son Stephen And I became best friends and used to play Mary up something wicked......
    I remember Robert and Anne very well, my Dad was a good friend to their Dad Les who owned several American cars, they used to spend hours together working on them...I just about remember the Lennons In Shalnecote but I think the biggest family in that area were the Royals with at least 11 kids...
  Another name I recall from the Maisonettes were the Bull Family.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

kjam

« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »

Hi I am trying to find out more abot Dingle Mead (sorry Londoner not knowing area) was Dingle Mead an Estate, residential housing etc I am trying to pinpoint it on a map but not sure which road it would be on?  Any assistance would be great   

Hi Phil
Great pictures of the old pre-fabs O0 

The picture of Allens Croft Rd pre-fabs actually shows more of Brandwood Park Road leading up to Brandwood Road which was my old stomping ground.
To the right is Reaside Crescent ( my first true love lived there ) & on the left just behind the large trees is Bryndale Avenue where I was Born,..
The rooftops of the higher buildings in the background on the right are the flats in Dingle Mead ( my second true love lived there ) which led to the canal ( or the "Cut" as it was known ) which in itself was a short cut to Lifford Reservoir & countless hours of fishing & general messing about.
The photographer must have been standing on the railway embankment that runs along side Allens Croft Road.
I wish I had a pound for every time Iv,e walked up & down those two roads. Happy days :) 

Just worked it out & I would be £2,340 better off

As for the Kings Arms A.K.A. "The Knob" I spent a lot of time both in & outside that place, both man & boy, My old man always insisted it got it,s name due to the fact that the Nobility of Birmingham frequented the pub (which in it,s early days, I think, would have been a country pub) using the newly installed trams as their means of transport & enjoying a ride out, hence the "[censored]" which is how I always thought was the correct spelling of the word.

Bobby

colin walker

« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
vicarage road

Speedy23

« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »
vicarage road

Hi Colin

Where was the post office in your picture and when was it taken? Looks like it could be 1950s?

Cheers

S23

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »
would any one mind if I added a bit of colour to this photo just to bring it to life  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

colin walker

« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
speedy it says on my file info mid to late 1950s. speedy I have no problem with a little colour.

colin walker

« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
speedy I believe it was 276 not far from the red lion

colin

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy