Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 189504 times)

nigepongo

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
My name is Nigel GRANT, and I am looking into my grandfathers history. George Elliot GRANT joined the Hampshire Regiment in 1915. In Feb 1917 he was invalided from the Somme via Rouen to England. According to the regimental journal he was admitted to Kings Heath, which according to The Long Trail, was a school, taken over for the use as a military hospital. Browsing your web site I found a picture, Colmore Rd Council school Kings Heath,temp military hospital.IS there any way I could get a copy of this photo, for my family & project. Copyright will be respect.
My grandfather transfered to the Machine Gun Corps, after his second  hospitalisation in 1918.
He was killed in action near Le Cateau France 23 October 1918.
My sincere thanks to anyone who can help me with this request.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »
Hi Nigel

I think as the photo you refer to is in fact a postcard that dates from before 1923 you will find any copyright that it might have had at one time has expired. You are quite welcome to take a copy from the forum but I think you will find that it is of very low resolution. If I were you I would try to find another copy elsewhere if I were you.

If you are unable to source another copy when you have made 5 posts to this forum you will be able to send me an email address via the messaging system where I can send you a higher resolution copy of the image.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Janet Drogan nee Thomas

« Reply #299 on: August 15, 2016, 10:36:21 PM »
Prudence Twigg was a brilliant swimmer. She went to Lordswood Grammar-Technical Girls School special times!

Hughes

« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »
Looking through these photos of Kings Heath,there is one of Colmore Rd School where i went to 1930 to 1941
What I would like is any photos of the back to back house I lived in Colmore Avenue Grove Rd
They were demolished about 1960
Regards
John Hughes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
Hi John

Photos of back houses and terraces are notoriously hard to locate, and in this case I can only locate an early photo of Grove Road itself c1900. Though I am unable to find a Colmore Avenue on Grove Road itself, though there was and still is one on Colmore Road itself opposite the school.

Behind the school on Grove Rd there was a School Avenue, a Grove Terrace & Richmond Cottages (See Map) would it be one of these back courts, even though I do not have a photo someone else might.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hughes

« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »
Many thanks for your reply.It was School Avenue were I lived with My Grand mother at no 3. Miriam Ethel Hughes she was ther
on the 1950 census no 2 Horsfall.no4 Silk.no 5 White.no6 Ford.no7 Price
at no 15 Grove Rd which was at the bottom of School Avenue there was a shop run my mr and mrs Harrison
this shop  sold all sorts of things and was very handy for local residence
I would love to see some photos.always regreted not taking snaps at that time

Gerry Taylor

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath GLENAVON Rd
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
Hi! I am hoping someone on here will be able to help? Back in the fifties, I used to catch the 50 from Town, and get off at Glenavon Road, in Kings Heath, then walk down the road, on the right hand side was all grassy bank, but then standing on its own, was a wooden bungalow! More of a hand built long shed really. My Nan & Granddad lived there. They had moved from Chadwick End, where they lived in a Romany Vardo (caravan) and this was their very first real static home. But, I have no pictures of it, and no one remembers it....until now, I hope. Maybe some of you old timers will remember Jack Hill & his wife Kate? Please let me know if you do, and if anyone has any old photographs of Glenavon Road back then, that would be great. many thanks. Gerry Taylor Burton On Trent.

[email protected]

« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2021, 09:16:03 PM »
Did you  know the Armstrong's on brandwood park road. You mentioned  lots of families they know.

Jamie280292

« Reply #305 on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
Hi all,[/size]

Great to be back.

I have recently moved to Kings Heath and hoping to find some pictures/information about Grange Road, specifically the end towards the High Street. I am trying to find the previous owners and any interesting facts about the area.

During my research, I have found the below link to some maps and pictures of KH which you may find of interest.

http://www.kingsheathhistory.co.uk/maps.htm

Enjoy! and I look forwards to hearing back!

James

RTEvali

-
« Reply #306 on: September 12, 2021, 12:09:29 AM »
Those are amazing
Thanks for sharing those Charlie. By the way my entire body has turned green with envy. Looks like it was an incredible night.

Bob

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy