Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 189012 times)

preddy1

Old photos of Kings Heath
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »
Can anyone help me? I am looking for old photographs of Silver street, Kings Heath showing the old two up two down cottages that stood where the neighbourhood office now stands. My old man grew up there during the war and I have been trying for so long to locate some pictures for him.
Can anyone help? Does anyone remember the street then?
Thanks,
Tony.

Graham

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »
Preddy, welcome to the old folks nut-house :uglystupid2:

Try this site; http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/kingsheath.htm

preddy1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »
You are a gent. Can't see relevant pics but there is a crackin book advertised which I have ordered with 200 old pics of the area.
Many thanks.

Still interested to hear from anyone with photos.

Graham

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:45:52 PM »
Yes I noticed the book and thought that it might be of some use to you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 11:02:01 PM »
Hello Tony,

Wellcome to the site, I remember the cottages you mention. I've had a quick look through my collection of snaps that I have saved to disc and I cant see anything. I will look through the rest of my hard copies that I haven't saved yet, there might be something. In the meantime don't give up hope someone way come up with the goods.

Phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

preddy1

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »
Thanks Phil, much appreciated.
Tony

preddy1

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:40:36 PM »
Thanks Phil.
Tony

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »
Tony,
  I am fairly sure that a couple of those cottages were still standing in the 70's after the neighbourhood office was built. They were quite pretty with la light yellow colour cotswold type stone but that might have been added in later years.
  I have a few books of photo's recently purchased with photo's of Kings Heath, Stirchley and Small Heath but alas i am not aware of a piccy of the cottages. I seem to recall one of the old bus station in Silver Street. I will hunt them out and see if there is any sign of the cottages in the shot as they were most likely opposite. We also have a calendar, well mom does which i bought her but i cannot scan those piccys until 2008 [mom thinks bad luck to remove these before end of year.
  One other idea is the library displays. Most have local piccys on show. I guess you are not local. Let me know if you would like me to take a look armed with my digital camera. ;D

preddy1

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »
I am fairly local. I live in Shirley, Solihull. I think Dad has been to the library in the past but could not find any of the cottages.
I'm sure there will be some some where as so much happened around there. I know there was an unexploded world war 2 bomb found in a road near by and I'm sure there would have been VE day celebrations.
It's incredible to think he grew up with both parents, two brothers and a sister in a two up,two down cottage and shared a tin bath with the neighbours.
I really hope I can locate something for him.
Thanks,

Tony

preddy1

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »
Any joy?

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 11:16:51 PM »
Sorry preedy have looked through loads of pics but no luck so far. Found one of the bus garage on the same road but no sign of the cottages. Woukd one of the cottages be an off licence i remember in the 70,s? Was a tiny building built of [from memory] a yellow type cotswold stone.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy