Author Topic: Old photos of Kings Heath  (Read 188983 times)

johnl

Re: Old photos of Kings Heath
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
Hi,
The number 19 bus route was the City Circle
Remember it well in the 1950's
John L

Colin B

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 01:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, glad to help Preddy1.
John2000 it's still the no. 11 Outer Circle, followed by a A for the anti-clockwise journey and C for the clockwise route.

Colin
Kings Heath History
www.bhamb14.co.uk

john2000

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
Thanks ColinB, its been years since I've been on that bus, or any other bus if it comes to that, but I do remember that route, the nr 8, was my main bus I always worked some where along that route, ... again many thanks...John 2000 O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:37 PM »
Come on John tell the truth, you used to use the No 8 to get to Waverley Road every week.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:47 AM »
Come on John tell the truth, you used to use the No 8 to get to Waverley Road every week.

Phil.

No Phil. it used tobe to Munz St and hawkes St, to see my girlfriend,.. O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jacqueline

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 01:33:23 AM »
I am with you Maz. Yet i object on two fronts, yes we are the fairer and more intelligent sex. But as for the old farts...well i think the blokes win hands down on that.

Welcome Preedy nice to greet a newcomer.

As for Kings Heath it is my old area...well nearby stirchley. ;D

John the outer circle has been the 11 route for years and has never been changed unlike some routes. I have reference to my grandad driving the outer circle 11 in the 1940's.

Jacqueline

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »
OOPS, Sorry Preedy see we have spoken a few times....must stop posting late at night when brain is dead. Then again is it ever alive. :o

pickard.r

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:41 AM »
Can anyone help me? I am looking for old photographs of Silver street, Kings Heath
Have you tried "www.PhotobyDjNorton.com/ ? this is a lovely site & has recently been updated with some great pictures of Kings Heath Inc two small cottages in Silver St.
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 10:31:12 AM »
I've revived this old thread from the bowels of the forum as since I last posted to it I have added greatly to my collection of photos and now have a few more of Kings Heath that might be of interest.

The first one is at the Junction of Tenbury Rd, Featherstone Rd and Alcester Rd. Was there any special reason why there was a drinking fountain and horse trough at this spot. It seems a pretty isolated spot today.

The second is York rd just off the High Street, what tickles me is the thought that you could just drive in to kings Heath back then and find a parking space anywhere.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »
Hi Phil,

Interesting to note that the picture of York Road shows the Ideal Billiard Hall before it became The Ritz.  When The Regans got the Rock 'n' Roll going there I could hear the music from my back garden in Grange Road.  Used to hang around outside the chip shop opposite the Ritz and watch the Teds and their girls arriving.

I don't know if Preddy ever found the picture he was looking for in Silver Street, but there is a shot of the off-licence and the cottage on page 73 of the Alton Douglas book Birmingham: back to The Sixties.  You can also see Tommy Godwin's shop, which was separated from the cottage by the alley which ran through to York Road.  We used to cut through that alley coming and going to school at Institute Road.  Incidentally, Tommy's daughter Kay was in my class.

I also remember using that off-licence in the early 1970s to buy wine from the wood.  Took your own bottle and got cherry or apricot wine.

Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
Brian

As I say since the thread was posted to I have more than doubled my collection of photos. I now have these of Silver Street. That not only show Tommy Godwins shop but also the cottages and one of the Tram Depot.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy