Author Topic: Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.  (Read 11453 times)

Phil Davidson

Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
Any of the old members on here ?

I was in the Cubs group that used to meet at Clifton Road School, probably around 1956 to 59.
I was in the 10 th Birmingham Boys Brigade, at Moseley Road Methodist, from 1961 to 65/66.
My oldest brother was in the Scouts that were based in Vincent Street.(?)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
Phil

On one of the Balsall Heath threads there are some photos of the scouts and cubs meeting at Clifton Rd school and also parading outside the scout building on Vincent Street. I can't find it myself because I have a problem viewing photos on this site. There is something about the system that it is using at the moment that my computer doesn't like. Still my son is going to have a look at it the weekend. If you have a look you should find them, they were posted a few months back.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »

I was in the Cubs group that used to meet at Clifton Road School, probably around 1956 to 59.
I was in the 10 th Birmingham Boys Brigade, at Moseley Road Methodist, from 1961 to 65/66.
The scout troup in Vincent St, was the the 38th . The scout master was known as "H"  H  was previously scoutmaster of the 116th troup, based on the corner of Chantry Rd, Mosely.  He left the 116th for the 38th, the week after I joined the 116th, must have been something I said ?  ;D
                                                                                                                                                  Malc.

I must add that I am talking about the period circa 1955/6
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

speedy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
The scout troup in Vincent St, was the the 38th . The scout master was known as "H"  H  was previously scoutmaster of the 116th troup, based on the corner of Chantry Rd, Mosely.  He left the 116th for the 38th, the week after I joined the 116th, must have been something I said ?  ;D
                                                                                                                                                Malc.

Hi all iwas in the 52 boysbrigade 1951/52 from upper dean st near town does anyone remember them. speedy

wam

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »

Malc.

I don't know if this is the right guy. His name was Harold S Burnett (sometimes listed as H Burnett) and at the time this was taken (late 70s) he was leader of the 10th out of Moseley Rd Methodist church. He retired in 83.

Phil Davidson

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
Definitely the Harry Burnett of the 10th Boys brigade that I used to know.
However, I suspect that the photo is much earlier than the late 70's.
I was in the 10th until early 66, and, with no offence intended to Harry, when I knew him, I think he was older than shown in the photo. I would guess a photo from the late 50's - early 60's.

Phil.

Jude

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Yes I agree, I'm sure the photo is early 50s.  My uncle (more like a brother) Bobby Mundy was in the Boys Brigade then.  I remember running  out to watch them on a Sunday morning when they marched along Ladypool Road

wam

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
Going back to the source of the picture, I see that it's a photograph of a photograph so it could be a lot older that I'd said. This version of the picture was "taken" (from another photograph) in 1978 or thereabouts. It was also used in the Heathan newspaper in November of 1985 along with this article
"Mr Harold Burnett MBE has just given up the leadership of the 10th Birmingham Company of The Boys' Brigade at Moseley Road Methodist Church after serving for 61 years, 45 of them as Captain. Mr Burnett has a remarkable record of service for during those 61 years he has never missed a monthly Church parade, an enrolment service or a company display. In addition, he has attended 50 Summer Camps."

jeffbrampton

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »

Hi Phil, my name is Jeff Brampton & I just happened to find this site through Google. I was with the "38th Birmingham boy scout troop from approx 1955 thru to 1963/64. I new "H" the scout master very well during my 8 plus years I was there. I also remember our HQ in Vincent st., Moseley that I think was owned by H as we could access the building any day of the week. I also recall that my "nickname" given to me in those days was "Brasso" because of my red hair. We also had a band made up of 6 drums & bugles etc. During my last years in the group, I was lead drummer, I was the one with the "black pearl drum, that I purchased myself. We used to march every Sunday from Vincent St. down to a church on the Pershore Rd. I was 10 years old when I entered the 38th group, & I left when I was 18 years old. I would be delighted if you or anyone else happens to know anyone who was in the group at that time, or later, as I often wonder about my many old friends. I have a lot more information if any one is interested.
I currently reside in Mexico, just outside Mexico City, where I have lived for 40 plus years.

Best Regards
Jeff Brampton (Nickname: Brasso)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I don't think I am the Phil you are addressing, but nevertheless welcome to you. I was a member of the 38th for a short while during the period you mention and so were a couple of other contributors to this forum. If you search through the various Balsall Heath threads you will find several photos and posts concerning the scouts on Vincent Street. Here is one of the photos, perhaps you are on it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
Phil, I thank you for your prompt response above to my message today Sunday Sept 8th, I didn't really expect a response on a Sunday, but it is very much appreciated. Furthermore, I thank you for the photograph of which I am sure that I am the scout standing immediately behind the "Mace-bearer" in the photo. I recognize some of the other faces in the band. Also for your information, I achieved the "Queen Scout Award" in 1959, I recall that this event was mentioned in a local newspaper, If I remember correctly there were 1 or 2 other scouts received the same achievement. In actual fact, it was only approx 2 months ago that I requested a copy of my "Queen's Scout Certificate" to the boy scout HQ in London, they kindly posted the copy to my family address in Bournville, Birmingham. Another faint memory that I have is that we as the troop made camping trips to a place called "Brinksty Common" which is situated on the other side of Worcester on the road to "Bromyard" (I believe is the name). These camping trips were at Easter & Whitsun for 4 day periods. I recall the camping site was owned by a family member of "H" the scout master. I will try to attach a photo of me (In the large scout hat) along with another colleague, of whom I cannot remember his name. (Sorry but cannot see how to attach this photo, maybe you can help me) Well, Phil I sincerely hope that with this additional information I have given help's you, or any other members to recall any memories of those times back in the 50's or 60's.

Many thanks...

Best Regards
Jeff Brampton

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy