Author Topic: Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.  (Read 11454 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »
Jeff

Just click on "Attachments and other options" at the bottom of the reply box and follow the on screen instructions. If you cant manage that try this method
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4681.msg137371#msg137371

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil Davidson

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »
Hi to Jeff and Phil, (modo),
My older brother Paul would have been in the 38th at about the same time as you. At a guess, he would have been there from around 56 to 63.

I don't have any memories of local camping trips, but I do remember one or two summer trips, when Paul went to Jersey with the 38th. As far as I know, Paul was never in the band.
Phil.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
I seem to remember the tale of one camp on the coast somewhere that ended in disaster. A freak storm hit the camp and brew most of it over the cliff. I don't think anybody was hurt but as most of the equipment was lost the camp was abandoned. This occurred before I joined c1956.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I don't think I am the Phil you are addressing, but nevertheless welcome to you. I was a member of the 38th for a short while during the period you mention and so were a couple of other contributors to this forum. If you search through the various Balsall Heath threads you will find several photos and posts concerning the scouts on Vincent Street. Here is one of the photos, perhaps you are on it.

Hi Phil, in reference to your comment on the summer camping trips to the Island of Jersey, this is exactly true. I think we went 2 years running. I recall being on the "advanced party", the purpose of this was to set up the camp site, tent's and all, plus the infrastructure prior to the arrival of the main party. I remember the trip down from brum was through Folkestone on the south coast, then taking the boat-train across the channel to Jersey. I have some good photo's from Jersey taken during the year of Sept 1963, but I cannot seem to attach them. The photo's show some other scouts. Please tell me more about Paul?

Kind Regards
Jeff Brampton

Phil Davidson

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »

I have some good photo's from Jersey taken during the year of Sept 1963, but I cannot seem to attach them. The photo's show some other scouts. Please tell me more about Paul?
Kind Regards
Jeff Brampton
Hi Jeff,
A shame really, but as I seem to be a bit like you, (I left the U.K. in late 1974), I don't get to see my family too often. Even more of a shame is that Paul left my place yesterday, after spending a week here.
When Paul was in the scouts, he was at school at Wheeler's Lane, Kings Heath.
Memories are a bit vague, but I have the feeling that for one of the Jersey trips, he went for free, as he must have won a Bob-a-Job competition, or something along those lines.
I also have memories of him becoming a Queen Scout, (obtaining all of the required badges ?), because there was some talk about moving on the the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
I'll send him an e-mail, and see if he has any memories.
Phil.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
Phil, I thank you for your prompt response above to my message today Sunday Sept 8th, I didn't really expect a response on a Sunday, but it is very much appreciated. Furthermore, I thank you for the photograph of which I am sure that I am the scout standing immediately behind the "Mace-bearer" in the photo. I recognize some of the other faces in the band. Also for your information, I achieved the "Queen Scout Award" in 1959, I recall that this event was mentioned in a local newspaper, If I remember correctly there were 1 or 2 other scouts received the same achievement. In actual fact, it was only approx 2 months ago that I requested a copy of my "Queen's Scout Certificate" to the boy scout HQ in London, they kindly posted the copy to my family address in Bournville, Birmingham. Another faint memory that I have is that we as the troop made camping trips to a place called "Brinksty Common" which is situated on the other side of Worcester on the road to "Bromyard" (I believe is the name). These camping trips were at Easter & Whitsun for 4 day periods. I recall the camping site was owned by a family member of "H" the scout master. I will try to attach a photo of me (In the large scout hat) along with another colleague, of whom I cannot remember his name. (Sorry but cannot see how to attach this photo, maybe you can help me) Well, Phil I sincerely hope that with this additional information I have given help's you, or any other members to recall any memories of those times back in the 50's or 60's.

Many thanks...

Best Regards
Jeff Brampton

Hi Phil Davidson (So as not to confuse with Phil the moderator) It's a pleasure conversing with u about the old days...As you say, we seem to be in the same situation as far as living abroad. Here in Mexico it is approx 11:30 am. (What time is it where u are?) Again, just like u I don't see my family to often, only once a year when we visit Brum. (Which is a gr8 pity for me) On the subject of Kings Heath, I actually lived there in Popular Rd, around the year of '67/68. As for Paul being a "Queen's Scout", that gives me gr8 pleasure, as maybe he was one of the other scouts who received his award around the same time as me in 1959. (I was only 14 years old) The "Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme" was actually part of the activities & requirements for being a Queen's scout. (If I remember correctly), as I too went thru the same scheme. I will work with Phil the moderator to work on how to attach my photos. I use a MAC lap-top which sometimes makes a technical difference, as some software is designed for Microsoft WINDOW'S only. Anyway, I will sort it out with Phil (Mod) Yes, pls send an e-mail to Paul to see if there are anymore memories. Maybe my photos will also help.

Kind Regards
Jeff Brampton

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
A couple more of the Scout Group from Vincent St another one outside the clubhouse on the corner of Vincent St and Vincent Parade, the other at the school hall on Clifton Rd. I though these would be more at home here.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
By the way these photos were originally posted to the forum by member "ascspeaker" who I believe accessed them from Dennis (Dickie) Wiseman a long term member of the c38th Scout Group.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 02:01:47 AM »

Hi Phil Davidson (So as not to confuse with Phil the moderator) It's a pleasure conversing with u about the old days...As you say, we seem to be in the same situation as far as living abroad. Here in Mexico it is approx 11:30 am. (What time is it where u are?) Again, just like u I don't see my family to often, only once a year when we visit Brum. (Which is a gr8 pity for me) On the subject of Kings Heath, I actually lived there in Popular Rd, around the year of '67/68. As for Paul being a "Queen's Scout", that gives me gr8 pleasure, as maybe he was one of the other scouts who received his award around the same time as me in 1959. (I was only 14 years old) The "Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme" was actually part of the activities & requirements for being a Queen's scout. (If I remember correctly), as I too went thru the same scheme. I will work with Phil the moderator to work on how to attach my photos. I use a MAC lap-top which sometimes makes a technical difference, as some software is designed for Microsoft WINDOW'S only. Anyway, I will sort it out with Phil (Mod) Yes, pls send an e-mail to Paul to see if there are anymore memories. Maybe my photos will also help.

Kind Regards
Jeff Brampton

Hi Phil Davidson, concerning the photos that I promised from Jersey, I have not forgotten. I am working with Phil the moderator & the web-site "tiny pics" to get the photos up on the forum so u can see them. I have a funny feeling that the scout by my side on one of the pics, on the island of Jersey, just maybe your Paul, it would be gr8 if it was. Anyway, we will know very soon. By the way, have u heard any news back from Paul?? If as u say, he went to Jersey with the 38th, then we must have been together on the same camp site. Can u pls ask him if he remembers my name Jeff or my nick-name "brasso"??? Will get back to u soon.

Best Regards
Jeff Brampton

frederick

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
I have found that tiny pics is very very slow now for me anyway, anyone else finding that    :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

jeffbrampton

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »

To Phil Davidson, this is the photo I was referring to taken on the island of Jersey in Sept 1963. I am the scout on the right hand side with the large hat. I sure hope that this is your brother Paul.

Best Regards
Jeff Brampton 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy