Author Topic: Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.  (Read 11458 times)

Phil Davidson

Re: Balsall Heath Boys Brigade and Scouts.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »
No Jeff, I don't think it's Paul in the photo.
When I can, I will get Paul to take a look and see if it jogs any memories for him.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
To Phil Davidson...Phil, what gr8 pity its not your Paul, I was convinced that it would have been because we "queen scouts" normally hung out together. Well never mind, hopefully the photo may jog his memory, as you say. In the photo, we were at the "Island Carnival" helping out. I was 18 at that time of the photo, would Paul have been about the same age? (In 1963) (Give or take a couple of years) Any way, thank you for your kind support, I look forward to receiving any feed back u can give me. Enjoy yourself either in France or Spain. (Have you learned the local language yet?) I must say I envy you in that you are only a couple of hours flight from Brum. It takes me 24hrs trip from door-to-door to Brum, that's with a flight from NY to Brum Int'l. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards
Jeff ....

jeffbrampton

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
To Phil Davidson, hi Phil, trust all is well over there, where ever u maybe in Europe. I see from the weather forecasts that u are getting some gr8 weather. Nice to see someone is getting it...Would just like to check to see if u had any response from your brother Paul yet? it would be nice to ear even the slightest detail he can remember, but if not, I completely understand, as it has been 50 years since that photo I sent was taken. I am now 68 years old, would Paul be about the same age? Also, is he still living in Brum? I would appreciate any response u can give me.

Thanks & Kind Regards
Jeff

jeffbrampton

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
To Phil the moderator...Hi Phil, I trust all is well. I was just wondering what happen's to these subjects (Balsall Heath Boy's brigade & scouts) on members stop forwarding any comments, are they filed away for future reference? As for the 38th scout group, there seems to be only yourself, Phil's brother Paul, & me of course that have joined in on the conversation. But I believe u mentioned another person who may have been involved, is there a possibility of contacting him, or at least do u know if was involved on a long or short term basis?
Furthermore, I have a photo copy of my "queen's scout" certificate, whould this be useful for your historical files? Kindly let me know.

Thanks & Best Regards
Jeff... :)

Phil Davidson

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Hi Jeff,
No news from Paul yet, but he does not spend a great deal of time at the keyboard, so it could be a while before he responds.
It's not my place to reply for Phil the Moderator, but don't forget that those of us who are in our 60's, or maybe a bit older, and use computers to go on Forums etc, are probably the exception, rather than the rule.
Coming on here is like sending a signal that you don't mind being found. The problem is that the chances of being found by somebody you knew back then are very, very slim.
Phil.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Jeff

Anything you post to the forum as long as it is within the forum rules will remain here as long as the forum is on the internet. The only things ever deleted are those that breach forum rules or those that are requested to be deleted by the original poster. Your posts well remain even after you may no longer be a contributing member.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 12:06:53 AM »
Hi Jeff,
No news from Paul yet, but he does not spend a great deal of time at the keyboard, so it could be a while before he responds.
It's not my place to reply for Phil the Moderator, but don't forget that those of us who are in our 60's, or maybe a bit older, and use computers to go on Forums etc, are probably the exception, rather than the rule.
Coming on here is like sending a signal that you don't mind being found. The problem is that the chances of being found by somebody you knew back then are very, very slim.
Phil.

To Phil Davidson, Hi Phil, I fully appreciate your candid comments above concerning Paul & the other issues that u mentioned. Knowing the British traditions & culture as I do, I completely understand & respect that most British would prefer the peace, quiet & comfort of their homes, especially if one arrives home after a long working day, or maybe due to some other special circumstances. In any event, after what you have told me about Paul, I am confident that we were good friends & fellow scouts at one time, and those times, experiences & memories were golden. Therefore, kindly extend my best wishes to him, & I trust that all is well with family & health.
With Best Regards
Jeff ....

Phil Davidson

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
Message for Jeff Brampton.
My brother Paul is at my place, and he has looked at the photo of the 2 scouts. Definitely not him.
Your name rings a bell for Paul, but he thinks that, as you were in the advance party for Jersey, you are probably a bit older than him.
He did go to Jersey twice, and both occasions were for free, as he sold the most tickets for the Bike - Bob raffle.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
Hi Phil, my apologies for not answering your message of Oct 9th, until now. The truth is that my wife & I flew to Birmingham on Oct 7th for our annual home trip. This trip I did not take my lap-top, as it is always difficult to find good Wi-Fi or internet where my mother lives, so I don't bother anymore. We arrived back home here in Mexico on Nov 12th, so I have just recently seen your message.
Well, please send my very best regards to Paul, and thank him for his comments on what he could remember of our scout trips to Jersey. Yes Paul is correct, I did go on the advance parties a couple of times, the advance party's job was to set up the camp, tent's & all, and arrange for the food supplies etc. We were a huge scout group in those days, over a 100 strong at one time, so u can imagine, impossible to remember faces. You say that Paul is younger that me, i am now 69, he is about retirement age I guess. If he was a Queen scout as u once mentioned we must have been very good friend, which makes it maddening to think I cannot remember his face. But those were fun & challenging times, especially during our endeavors to get to queen scout level. So if you see him again, please give hime my kind regards and I hope that he is well and in good health....Jeff B,

Phil Davidson

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »
Hi Jeff.
As it turns out, I was mistaken about Paul being a Queen Scout.
Paul is a couple of years younger than you, which could explain why you might not have known each other that well.
He's back in England now, retired and in good health, but trying to gear himself up for an English winter.
Phil.

jeffbrampton

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »
Hi Phil, thank u for your quick response concerning Paul. I guess it doesn't really matter if Paul was a queen scout or not, for me scouting is a noble organization which promotes friendship & good deeds. I only know that the boy scouts kept me off the Balsall Heath streets, since I was 10 years old without realizing it, that's when I joined the 38th group. And as u know Balsall Heath was a very rough area during those days, so really, as kids we spent out scouting time learning & dedicating ourselves to more important activities.
I was only 14 year's old when I became a Queen scout, although the rules stated one had to be at least 18 years old. But as u know, we had our own headquarters, our activities moved along very quickly, and before I realized it, I was at queen scout level. I left the group when I was 18 years old, so I spent 8 years in the group. So I am guessing that I must have known Paul, even though as u say, not that well, I just cannot remember.
You mentioned that Paul is now back in England, so did he live somewhere in Europe? (Didn't want to mention names of a particular country) Now that sounds interesting, not living in UK myself for many years.
Anyway, i'm glad to hear that he has retired, and is in good health, I am also, thank God!! And although the English winter can be depressing, having been around the world myself with my job, I am convinced that there is no other country that compares to an English country side, village or even an English garden.... as they say.
My appreciation to u for communicating all of Paul's information to me. My regards to Paul, to you & your family. .....Jeff

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy