Author Topic: BBC 1 Looking for Great Brummie Accents  (Read 8701 times)

cocacolakid

Re: BBC 1 Looking for Great Brummie Accents
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »
I was recently away on holiday, I spoke to a chap at the table next to me, he said what part of Birmingham do you come from, I would recognise that accent anywhere!!!   This is true.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Steve

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Anywhere I've been around Britain I am readily recognised as a Brummie as soon as I open me gob.
 Some folk ask if I'm from West Brom, I put that down to my early years being brought up close to my Yamyam Grandparents, so I probly have mixed accent.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

tony armstrong

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
i have heard that shakespeare was to have a broad west midland accent so it cant be that bad unless you happen to have a snobbish attitude like people like clarkson.

spyro2000

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
i have heard that shakespeare was to have a broad west midland accent so it cant be that bad unless you happen to have a snobbish attitude like people like clarkson.

To be fair. It doesn't mean an accent isn't bad just because someone from history had it.

I find most West Midland accents awful regardless of who may have had one.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Steve

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
To be fair. It doesn't mean an accent isn't bad just because someone from history had it.

I find most West Midland accents awful regardless of who may have had one.
Why am yo on this forum then?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

maggie

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
I have a Brummie Kiwi accent but give me half an hour with a true Brummie and I,ll be speaking the same....Niece in Tamworth says I,m not Arthur or Martha and talk funny.  Oh well one cant win
them all
do unto others as you would be done by

Joewoen

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
I was recently away on holiday, I spoke to a chap at the table next to me, he said what part of Birmingham do you come from, I would recognise that accent anywhere!!!   This is true.

Malc.

My wife has been told the same when on holiday, 'I know where you're from........Brum'. She's actually from Camberwell, London.  ;D

She did pick up more of a Brummie accent than I have ever had. Most people think I have an Australian accent.  :D :o :o

Brum Walker

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »

My old Dad had a strong 'Brummie' Accent, which in truth, was probably an 'Astonian' accent, as he was born in 1906, 7 years before the village became part of Birmingham.

So maybe Walliams will learn, for instance, that the accent in the North of Birmingham is different than in the South. And of course there is always the 'Grammar School' version, that was a result of colloquialisms being knocked out of pupils by teachers.
Eg. Gerrout thee 'orseroad, or yoh'll finish up in 'orspittle.

Also, I think a lot depends on whether or not you ever moved away from Brum, for long periods, in your lifetime.  I went into the Royal Navy in 1954. When I finished my service ten years later, I came back to Birmingham, and was often asked where I came from. Someone even thought I was South African!

Now sidown, mekyerself a tum, an' a'summertate. :)

S'cuse me while I goo an' put the lid on the miskin.  O0

Brum Walker

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
SPYRO,

A good example is:  We are such stuff as dreams are made on.' (The Tempest.)

Shakespeare probably used 'med on'. As a Brummie would say, 'Dyou think I'm med on it, or summat?' ( It, being money. Eg., "Do you think I'm made of money, or something?")

Now, I have no argument with anyone who wishes to 'improve' their speech. With attitudes like yours it's no wonder many Brummies try to do just that. Also, I can think of a few accents that I consider far worse than Brummie. However, I am much too well-mannered to name them. Especially if I was on any of their regional fora.

If you are a Brummie yourself, then shame on you.  :o

Sandrada

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
Often there is a totally illogical perception that those of us with Birmingham accents are not intelligent people.  I have strong accent, but I am usually grammatically correct.  I hear people with "posh" accents who often end their sentences in prepositions.  I agree with other contributors when they say the BBC has no compunction about substituting a Black Country accent for a Birmingham accent.  I do not think they would allow an actor to speak with say a Liverpool accent if they were portraying a person from Manchester. 
But we Brummies all know we am, we am I repeat, great! 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
hi sandra Brummie Accents is not the same now

you will hear  I'm going down town like she got this new phone like  iv gota get the bus like

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy