Author Topic: BRUM WHEELIE BINS  (Read 17616 times)

page

BRUM WHEELIE BINS
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »
Hi i see that brum is going to have wheelie bins, if u live in brum is that good or bad for you.When i moved to Shropshire we have wheelie bins we have the room to put them so its better then bags . Where are the people with no front gardens going to put them ? there are a lot of places in brum  that u have to go through the house to get in the back garden and they will have three bins lets hope you don't have to leave them on the street.  The garden collection  some of the places are in for a big surprise at the moment you can put out as much as u like ((in Sutton Coldfield )) the usual is about ten to twenty bags, the landscape gardeners save the garden waste and put it with the garden waste that is put out by the householders have seen it many times.   Years ago all the recycling was done in house rags, paper , cardboard, and metal all sorted out in the depot , the heat from the incinerator's powers the generators, free heat .  ME THINKS WE ARE GOING BACKWARDS MOST OF THE TIME :D

Spud

Re: BRUM WHEELIE BINS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
I think that the introduction of Wheelie Bins is probably a better bet than the present arrangement of Plastic Bags and Boxes.We have a constant problem with Plastic bags .They are ripped apart by Foxes and Crows . At least they will not be able to rip Wheelie Boins .Just hope that these bins cannot be overturned easily.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
we have wheelie bins and they are the best thing the council have done   we have green bin for green waist and gray bin for none green waist and it works well be for that we had bags and a lot of the time fox or birds would rip them open and cats  and some times they would rip when the dustbin men collected them our bin men are good they will come to your house and take your bin if they know your old
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jude

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
I was really pleased to read this.  Even though I spray my black bags with a deterrent when I put them out  they are still attacked by magpies, crows and the locals cats!  However I do realise that it is not the best option for everyone.  As Page says thousands of properties in Brum open on to the Street and may not have entry acces.  I wonder where they will store them?  Also an interesting point about the garden waste.  It isn't unusual for me to put ten green bags out especially when I cut the hedges.  How many green bags does a wheelie bin hold I wonder?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »
hi Jude
green bag waist like hedge cutting  you have big Green bag and they come once a month to empty they also take grass cutting but if you have a garden its better to compost grass cutting Roy  in flats it seems they put in big bins so all can use the same bins

planetmalc

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
Also an interesting point about the garden waste.  It isn't unusual for me to put ten green bags out especially when I cut the hedges.  How many green bags does a wheelie bin hold I wonder?
The ones used in Solihull hold a helluva lot, but I've had collection refused on more than one occasion because the binmen deemed that I'd exceeded the weight limit (possibly 50kg).   You can condense your 10 bags-worth of green waste considerably by chopping the larger pieces of waste into small sections: it adds to the workload but you'll get rid of it much quicker.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
i did read a letter that was sent in by a lady o.a/p saying she lived in House built just after the first world war two up two down she was worried that her bin would be kept out side the house on the pavement  in reply she got was if your house was built at that time you would have had coal fires where did you put the ash bin

Steve

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »
In Telford we have a bin cupboard adjacent to the front door. The door had a bag hanger attached inside it. When your bag was full, you put it to the back and hung a fresh bag up. Every week a man came with an electric cart with a big cage on it and collected all the bags and took them to the dustcart.
 Then we were told to put our bags out in the street, sure enough, the crows and pigeons got fat and foxes beacame a regular sight.
 Now we have a grey bin, a green bin, a blue skip, a red skip and an orange netbag, also smaller plastic bags for light bulbs and batteries. You should see it round our way, all this is outside a lot of folks front doors and it looks bloomin' awful.
 A lot of people inc. us have a space just inside the back gate,  to store all the containers.
 Now the council is on about restoring weekly collections, so what next?

If you have excess garden waste you have to pay the council to collect it, or take it to the recycling centres. Probably why a lot of it is thrown on to grassed areas, or thrown out of cars on to the roads.
 A neighbour has been quoted £80 to remove a 3 piece suite. It is still in front of  her house after more than 2 years, it was black, now it's green.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Aladdin

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
If they think i'm dragging three bins in and out all the time they have another think coming. Mine can stay wherever the council put them...forever. I will take my bags out and put them in the bin but i'm not moving them, i want no responsibility for blocking the pavement or someone taking me to court because they have fallen over it...i will leave all that business to the council to sort out.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
If they think i'm dragging three bins in and out all the time they have another think coming. Mine can stay wherever the council put them...forever. I will take my bags out and put them in the bin but i'm not moving them, i want no responsibility for blocking the pavement or someone taking me to court because they have fallen over it...i will leave all that business to the council to sort out.
What a negative attitude some people have. We've had wheelie bins for years and they are far superior and healthier than the antiquated plastic bag system.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Aladdin

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
What a negative attitude some people have. We've had wheelie bins for years and they are far superior and healthier than the antiquated plastic bag system.

I lived where they had wheelie bins...lines and lines of them along the streets. All very nice if you have front gardens to put them in...or nicer still if you live in a posh house with access to the back garden. My front door is onto the street and the back yard access is blocked off further down the road so don't talk to me about being negative...just realistic.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy