Author Topic: BRUM WHEELIE BINS  (Read 17588 times)

Jacqueline

Re: BRUM WHEELIE BINS
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
The bins would be fine if it was only one bin like old times ..BUT THREE?

We live in a semi but have low rise flats beside us. They are in blocks of four so 4x3 = 12 bins. Where the heck will they go. Probably in front of our drive, super. :(

page

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »
Wheelie Bins are a lot better in most cases but where there is no room  they are no go, what will happen is that when the bins come in that is when the service will go into private hands, because they can work out how much rubbish they are going to take from each property, then what will happen is that all Brum people will have the free service for bulky items taken away.  :-\ >:(

Aladdin

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
That hits the nail firmly on the head Page...privatise the operation (or should i say, put it out to a contract) . Exactly what happened when they introduced wheelie bins where i lived previously for a while.
We had a general waste wheelie bin collected fortnightly. No collection if the lid was not completely closed as this exceeded your waste allowance.
We has two boxes to recycle cardboard, plastic bottles, batteries, foil, tins, shoes and a number of other items. These were collected fortnightly.
Clothes were collected in bags, again fortnightly.
We has a food waste box with a lid to store outside. There was a smaller caddy to use indoors, then to decant into the outside box. Special liner bags were available to purchase as ordinary bags were not allowed to be used. These were essential to stop smells and mess, so a nice little earner for the council. This food waste was collected weekly.
The biggest earner for the council was from the green wheelie bin. This was free in the begining, however over the last five or six years the price has reached £40pa. Most people now purchase their own incinerator at around £10 to burn the garden rubbish, along with excess waste that exceedes their limit. Its not ideal and very smelly, however it serves a purpose.
Not helping the situation is the introduction of charges at the tip, newly named recycling centres (very posh). It used to be that charges were for business tippers, however there are a series of charges for domestic waste now in place on most items.
Bulky collections were always charged in the area, however the cost has risen considerably. Bearing this and the tip charges in mind, the council are finding a big increase in dumping around the county.
We never had any reduction on our council tax bill when the system was introduced, and that was a few years ago when the economic situation was not so bad. Now with the economic situation we are faced with it has left many people (not just low paid either) struggling.
We were told that help would be available for elderly and disabled, however this never materialised for ordinary households. Bins were left outside on the pavements where access was poor, leading to a number of problems for wheelchairs, pushchairs and children walking out in the road to pass in the street. Bins were blown over when empty or thrown into the road, or put in silly places such as on top of cars by idiots. Damage to cars was frequent, as was people, especially blind injuring themselves on bins. People started dumping rubbish in public bins on the way to work to clear excess waste, leading to  high streets becoming filthy.
If it stopped the rubbish problem i would say its probably worth the hassle, but it doesn't in my experience.

planetmalc

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
If only you had a magic lamp; you could command the genie to 'disappear' all your waste! ;D O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Another Chris

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
Hi i see that brum is going to have wheelie bins, if u live in brum is that good or bad for you.When i moved to Shropshire we have wheelie bins we have the room to put them so its better then bags . Where are the people with no front gardens going to put them ? there are a lot of places in brum  that u have to go through the house to get in the back garden and they will have three bins lets hope you don't have to leave them on the street.  The garden collection  some of the places are in for a big surprise at the moment you can put out as much as u like ((in Sutton Coldfield )) the usual is about ten to twenty bags, the landscape gardeners save the garden waste and put it with the garden waste that is put out by the householders have seen it many times.   Years ago all the recycling was done in house rags, paper , cardboard, and metal all sorted out in the depot , the heat from the incinerator's powers the generators, free heat .  ME THINKS WE ARE GOING BACKWARDS MOST OF THE TIME :D

I wonder what the planners would say if every potential new house were to be shown more honestly, complete with a dozen wheelie bins in front of the house.

Apparently, I'm supposed to have boxes for recycling.  I telephoned to ask for them but couldn't get through to the relevant person.  I went to the local office but a West Indian woman didn't understand what I was saying and gave me a telephone to ring the council - I said that was the entire point of dropping in to the Neighbourhood office and she said that I had to telephone to make an appointment.

I just gave up.  The council doesn't want to communicate with me about it, so I just put everything into the black bags.  No choice.

Another Chris

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »
What a negative attitude some people have. We've had wheelie bins for years and they are far superior and healthier than the antiquated plastic bag system.

Actually, I disagree that they are healthier.  I had the misfortune of using them before moving to this city a couple of months ago.   A black bag is never more than a week old and we start again each week with a new bin, having removed all  previous rubbish with whatever diseases they may carry.

One only has to sniff inside a wheelie bin to know that it is not fresh and healthy.  Even leaving disinfectant in the bin is against the rules in case it pours itself over the dustmen when the bin is emptied.  The fact that companies like this have been set up speaks for itself:  http://kenklean.co.uk/bins/why.clean.html

planetmalc

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
I black-bag everything before putting it in my wheelie bin. O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Pamela

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
I also bag everything before putting it in my wheelie bin, it doesn't need to be a big black bag if you haven't much rubbish, supermarket and other shop carrier bags and bread packets do just as well.     Ours are only empted fortnightly

You will probable get a company wanting to come and clean you bin out on empting day,for a charge of course 

Aladdin

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
If only you had a magic lamp; you could command the genie to 'disappear' all your waste! ;D O0
Haha...if only  ;D

J.J.A.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
dunno if its rite but me mate worked out 2,227,840 houses in west mids each bin got 0.5456 space so bins takes 1,215,510 square metres space
what a waste of million metres

SENSIBLE

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
I'd hate to have to go back to the antiquated plastic bag system and have rats, cats and other animals ripping them open as soon as they are put out for collection. Wheelie bins are a much better system, far more hygienic and cleaner.   O0 O0
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy