Author Topic: Anyone from Stirchley  (Read 32409 times)

Maurice

Re: Anyone from Stirchley
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »
This site has been cited a number of times in different threads but I think the SouthBhamBusiness section is a fairly recent addition. Apparently a lot more photo's of Kings Heath (I attended Bishop Challoner School, Institute Rd 1961 - 1966) are imminent.

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/GTC/SouthBhamBusiness.html

Maurice

Jacqueline

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 12:59:57 AM »
Shardeen,
    WHERE in stirchley was that club? My mom used to work at Cadburys with the mother of one of the rocking berries in their early years. ;D

shardeen

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 12:03:08 AM »
hello again, sorry i've not replied sooner having nett probs. i never new the name of the road the taboo was in ,i only remember it was across the road from a pub and round the corner in a church hall sorry again if that is'nt any help.

shardeen

john2000

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »
Shardeen.... Yes I have that problem with the nett, when I take it off, my hair never seems the same after....J2  ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jacqueline

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »
Shardeen,
    I think you might mean what was the Stirchley Institute. It was located on the one way link opposite Bornville Road. Know a couple of church halls but none large enough to host a rock group.
    Funnily enough i went to a boot sale today and got talking to a stall holder. They are trying to get the old baths opened again as a community centre. The baths were closed some 20 years ago. The outside is in bad shape but inside remains intact. Yet it is a listed building.

shardeen

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 12:47:41 AM »
your probably right about the institute Jacqueline, but i only remember it as the taboo but just the same we had some great times there, and as i mentioned before i met my wife there but it wasn't a very good meeting , me and my mate Tom broke up this pair of girls and one of them said to the other (my wife to be) thats the drummer out of the group i was in at the time, to wich she replied huh so what and we went on from there
shardeen

steveandmargaretdavies

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10:05 AM »
Hi Jacqueline,
My husband and his family lived in Regent Street. There names were Steve, John, Martin and Jeff Davies. Their Aunt Violet lived on the corner of Regent Street and Bournville Lane.

535tdc

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »
My school mate ginger Stanley used 2 drive the 27 route do,s it still run?.

is the tool shop Wyatt,s [spelling?] still there across from the post office ?I still have all the tools I bought there in1950 2 start work @ Eccles caravan long gone now. most of the firms I worked 4  in Brum are now closed even the good old Austin motor co. as I understand .
The shop was known as stirchley tool stores & closed 10 years ago . The chap who worked there from 1944-1982 peter colledge set up a shop in selly oak the tool discount centre which is also closing before Christmas
The last owner of stirchley tools was Greg bougton son of val who was the daughter of ill & bert wyatt

Aladdin

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
I lived at my grans in Ashbrook Gv when i was a nipper then we moved to Kings Heath. I was often at my grans even after we moved and we used to go shopping up The Village to the Co-op. We used to cut across the field at the back of her house and come out by the prefabs down Cartland Rd.
I remember when she set the field on fire burning some wood one summer...it was ablaze as far as we could see ...right from the cricket pitch to the river and the fire engines came from all over the place to put it out...it was a right how do you do.
I remember the church going up in smoke as well...some kids set a firework off inside and it all caught fire. I was up The Village with dad when we saw the smoke and heard the engines rushing with their bells ringing to put it out. Strange thing i always remember was the fireman saving the cross from inside...i can see him now coming out with it...about all that was left i think.
I got loads of great memories...from Stirchley and other places. Ah Mar sez i shud of writ a book..and she don't know the half...hehe.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »
hi aladdin have a look at this thread
Stirchley, Kings Heath, Bournville
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Aladdin,I know the journey accross the waste ground to the prefabs well as my hubby also lived in Ashbrook Grove and we spent the first 2 years of our married life living there with his parents. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy