Author Topic: Anyone from Stirchley  (Read 32514 times)

AWJD

Re: Anyone from Stirchley
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 08:39:17 AM »
Hi Roy One.

I've just had a look at my ancient Birmingham A to Z and I can see that Riverside Avenue is now what is called Riverside Brook Drive which is the other side of the River Rea from the old cinema. The small enclave consisting of this road and Benfield Crescent appears to have completely changed and been re-developed in more recent times into a much larger housing estate.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »

awjd
            the last time I went there would be 1964 a friend had relative that lived in the prefabs  but like you say its all different now new roads new names
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

AWJD

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
This was an interesting area of ground between Cartland Road and what was then the Dad's Lane Recreation Ground. I vaguely remember a lot of work being done on the river along there and it was not a nice area for children to venture. It's where the Bourne (Brook) joins the River Rea.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »

It's where the Bourne (Brook) joins the River Rea.
right I used to think that the river rea and the bourne brook met up at the back of cannonhill park   but once again I could be wrong   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 11:18:38 AM »
The Bourn Brook that rises in Woodgate Valley has it's confluence with the River Rea behind what is now the Nature Centre at the Pershore Road end of Cannon Hill Park.

The Griffins Brook and The Wood Brook join at Merritts Brook and become the Bourn, it's confluence with the Rea is just off Cartland Road behind what used to be the Pavilion cinema.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

AWJD

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »
My mistake - it is 'The Bourne' that flows into the River Rea alongside what was Riverside Avenue - this is the brook that flows through Bourneville and gave it its name. Confusingly (for me), it is not the same river as the 'Bourne Brook'!

AWJD

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »
In terms of the re-engineering of the rivers adjacent to Riverside Avenue back around 1960, it may have been to get rid of the remaining traces of the old Mill Race that provided water to the Dogpool Mill as shown.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »

this photo has been put up before but I could not find it it shows the brook and the rea meeting point in cannonhill park

Harley48

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
Hi

Harley48

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
Hi awjd 
It was first left off Cartland road coming from Pershore Road .now  known as riverbrooke drive , before you turn right into newlands road , my dad lived there 1950 1969 with his sister hazel and father Fredrick  , family surname is swinbourne would be great if anybody new them

AWJD

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
How old was your father and sister back in those days? Were they of an age to attend the local primary school?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy