Author Topic: Anyone from Stirchley  (Read 32414 times)

Jacqueline

Anyone from Stirchley
« on: March 06, 2006, 10:44:28 PM »
Hiyas,
  I was born in Stirchley 1955. Anyone remember the local church that burnt to the ground?
  What about Walkers now gone and the co-op which has changed so much over the years.
  The pavillion cinema changed to a bingo hall and then a quazer zone.
  The only shop i think still there is Collins the crockery/gift shop.

john2000

Re: Anyone from Stirchley
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:43:59 AM »
Hi again Jacqueline, that gift /crockery shop. was it on the left hand side going away from B/ham?? if it was, then I put a new shop front in 1971+/-
thinking back now, it was'nt such a bad place, ( Better that Balsall Heath, ).mind you anywhere south of B/ham was better than Balsall Heath,  :o
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

abilene

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 12:55:36 PM »
I live in Stirchley now and have done for 20 years.  There are a lot of changes pending for the near future, mainly a shopping/trade centre but I think it is on hold because of planning etc.

rupertbri

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 04:49:38 PM »
 yes! born 1935 lived there till married 1959 moved Redditch left there with wife & children Canada 1965 been home twice since then. poor old brum has gone down the tubes, dirty streets just  like towns in usa. jobs moving to over seas  :o

abilene

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »
Have you been into the city centre it has really improved  I believe with the help of local councillors I think Stirchley is going to show vast signs of improvement.

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:47:23 PM »
Hi Guys,
    Sorry have not checked this thread for a while. Yes they say there is a new development but that is only for a shopping complex on the old Hunts Road area and the co-op want it all for themselves so the planning is still in the air.
    That is of no use to the small shops on the Pershore Road. It used to be so busy but now looks like a ghost town. I loved growing up in Stirchley but hated the walk up Cartland Road to my home.
   All of my roots were there. Grandad drove the 27 bus. Mom worked at Cadbury's. Yet now it looks so forlorn. So sad.

rupertbri

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:46:54 PM »
 My school mate ginger Stanley used 2 drive the 27 route do,s it still run?.

is the tool shop Wyatt,s [spelling?] still there across from the post office ?I still have all the tools I bought there in1950 2 start work @ Eccles caravan long gone now. most of the firms I worked 4  in Brum are now closed even the good old Austin motor co. as I understand .

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 04:53:58 PM »
Yes the 27 still runs but has an extended route from that of the fifties and takes in Kings Norton and Hawkeley, more or less covering the old number 4 route. It is still a single decker bus due to the low bridge by Cadbury's. My grandad retired from the buses in the early 50's. His name was Tom Lacey.

You asked if a tool store was still opposite the post office. The answere is no but then neither is the post office you mentioned. It is now incorporated in a small newsagents on the other side of the road.

The swimming baths at the bottom of Bournville Lane still stands but is derelict. As i said in a previous post the only long standing small shop still thriving is Collins gift shop. The little tobacconist near Ivy Road remained until a couple of years ago as did the apron shop opposite Stirchley school.

Most of the shops from my childhood are long since gone. I remember Willetts the newsagents and Walkers the greengrocers. Yet by far my favourite was the old Edwards store with the solid wooden floor.

bostingayeit

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 03:55:41 PM »
My family were from Oxford Street, all working in Cadbury's and my aunt is still there in Oxford st, I just remember the outdoor at the top by the bridge in Bournville Lane.

I have a pic of my grandfather at Cadburies somwhere

Jacqueline

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 12:29:42 AM »
I nipped into the chocolate shop at cadbury's the other day. Only the second time this year that i have been. Then again i don't eat chocolate but just buy it for christmas gifts. However i still get carried away and almost need support when they ring up the total at the checkout. :o

chopendoz

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 11:33:59 AM »
Back in the 50's my Dad used to work for TASCOS (10 acres & Stirchley Co-operative Society to you), delivering coal from a horse and cart.
I used to go to the stables which were behind the main shop. Later I was
to help out a TASCOS bakery guy, delivering bread (and cakes) to your door in a wicker basket. Does TASCOS still exist?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy