Author Topic: Anyone from Stirchley  (Read 32410 times)

Aladdin

Re: Anyone from Stirchley
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
Wow...thanks roy ben. Crikey that cutting out of the Post brought it right back..made me laugh as well, the bit where it says lighting up times at the top of the page...quite ironic really.

Its a small world Jacqueline...my gran lived at number 30 in the bottom left corner (that sounds daft when it was in a circle..lol). My dad was Les Stanley, his two brothers Len and Norman with sis Winnie. They go back before the war (and no i don't remember it...lol) untill they moved and my gran moved to a bungalow in Harvest Close off Fordhouse Lane in the late 60's. 

Jacqueline

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Aladdin, Indeed a small world. I asked hubby [who's memory is awful] names never ring a bell to him so he was not sure about your grandparents. However we did work out that they moved to number 17 [last but one bottom right before the flat bit] around 1962. He was probably remembered better as the one with the motorbikes.....loads of them.

Can i ask your age Aladdin as you are probably somewhere between mine and hubbys of 57 and 70. :)

Aladdin

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
I was 52 at the last reckoning Jacqueline  ;)
The names i remember were the Brown's, Redden's or Redding's, Parker's and Chapman's off the top of my head.

Jacqueline

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
You are younger than both of us Aladdin. The reddings [however spelt] left and opened a chip shop on bounville lane. I knew Janet from school but cannot say we were mates but not enemys either.

Trying to rack my sad brain for names from that grove. The wilsons were one, they were sort of opposite us and another janet was a mate at school. Next door to us were the scrivens but they were a very quiet family. In the middle of the grove was mrs hewitt who was a lollipop lady. One other i recall are the washbrooks but not sure when they moved there probably later.

Aladdin

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
I remember the Mr Redding in the chippy in Bournville Lane...can't remember what the chips were like though...lol. I knew Janet and Les but have not seen them in years...i think the last time i saw Les was in The Highbury. I used The Dogpool more than The Highbury in the late 70's.
The Wilsons rings a bell and i know Nigel Washbrook, his brother who i can't think of his name now worked in the pine furniture shop in Cotteridge later, he put me a built-in wardrobe up, i think they moved into the grove a bit later as you say. Mrs Hewitt and the Scrivens also seem to ring a bell...but then i do hear noises in my head sometimes...lol.
I always remember when the council man came and put a 'no ball games' sign in the middle of the green...us kids pulled it out before he had driven out of the grove...still makes me laugh when i think about it...lol. We had some great dens over the field and was always down the river finding something...lol.

Aladdin

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
I notice you said you lived on Greenoak Cres in another thread Jacqueline...my mate Eric Foley lived up there...you might remember his dad who was a little chap who worked in the Hazelwell and used a speaker thing (sorry i don't know what they are called) on his throat to talk...a nice chap he was.

Jacqueline

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
Gosh we seem to not know much of each others memories.

Re Ashbrook Grove, You may have known John Dyde, or any other from the family. John would have been closer to your age. He married a Bellamy who funnily enough lived by us on Greenoak Cres.

Did you attend raddlebarn from there? Seems a long way to travel each day.

Aladdin

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
A different world each side of the grove...lol.
It was my dad who went to Raddlebarn from there, when it was the senior school.

cloverfell

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »
Hi, I was born in Selly Oak Hospital and lived in Riverside Ave (prefabs) Off Cartland road from 1948 to 1969. \Now in Kefalonia Greece. Would love to hear from from this area/period
cheers Colin

Aladdin

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
I used to cut through Riverside and across the field back to my grans between 1960 and about 1970. I remember the old Anderson shelters in the pre-fab gardens...used for a shed by then. Do you remember the concrete roads around there...laid by the Italian prisoners of war i believe...they were bumpy on your bike but solid as a rock.

cloverfell

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
Hi Aladdin. I don't remember the road being concrete but the curb stones were indeed laid by Italian POW's. I know the path accross from Ashbrook Grove to Riverside Aven, we used to call it "The Patch". Spent many a happy year building underground dens and we had our bonfire on the wastland. Ashbrook had their bonfire on the allotments, while Lyndsworth Road had theirs on the side of the cricket pitch. The Anderson shelters were use as Coal houses. I lived at number 25 which was the 2nd prefab on the left as you came onto Riverside Avenue from the PatchI also had relatives living in Ashbrook Grove, they were Pauline & Roddy Jones. Someone spoke about the Hewitts in AbG, Mr Hewitt was a fire man and self appointed Bouncer of the allotments, he chased me off many a time while scumping - Ah happy times
I could talk for hours about Stirchley, and may well do now I have found this interesting site.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy