Author Topic: Anyone from Stirchley  (Read 32415 times)

bostingayeit

Re: Anyone from Stirchley
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
Back in the 50's my Dad used to work for TASCOS (10 acres & Stirchley Co-operative Society to you), delivering coal from a horse and cart.
I used to go to the stables which were behind the main shop. Later I was
to help out a TASCOS bakery guy, delivering bread (and cakes) to your door in a wicker basket. Does TASCOS still exist?

Thanks, your memories are important so visit

http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/coop.htm

and contact the webmaster on the home page so that your story can be published on the site

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 03:20:36 PM »
The co op is still very evident in Stirchley but the main shop has changed and many other departments gone.

I guess you remember the main store with basement which had the small grocery shop at the side. This has since gone and replaced with a huge supermarket. The dairy at the rear is also gone and is now a car park for the supermarket.
The co op chemist over the road from the main store is also no longer but in it's place you will find co op funeral services.
I bet we took delivery of a few bags of coal but being a child in the 50's the bakers van was much more fun.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 08:34:38 PM »
Back in the 50's my Dad used to work for TASCOS (10 acres & Stirchley Co-operative Society to you), delivering coal from a horse and cart.
I used to go to the stables which were behind the main shop. Later I was
to help out a TASCOS bakery guy, delivering bread (and cakes) to your door in a wicker basket. Does TASCOS still exist?

Oh, yes, dear old TASCOS! My dad had a milk round at TASCOS between '55-59, and his elder brother (my uncle) worked there for 30-odd years, latterly as a supervisor, until he was involved in a crash in his works van, from which he never quite recovered.

And in '59, my uncle arranged for me to work at the dairy during my school holidays - it was a hot summer, and going into the cool room and zapping down a pint or two was a real treat! With "Joe" the driver I was on what they called the "meat run" - a flat lorry replenishment vehicle for the electric floats, with the additional job of taking churns of "pigs swill" out to the outlying farms, and discharging them into the troughs. Heavy work - but I got to enjoy it; whether I could have stuck it as my "career job", I'm not so sure!
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

bostingayeit

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 02:31:06 PM »

john2000

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
Cadbury's, Well I never knew that..so, the best does come from Brum then ... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 08:21:56 PM »
http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/cadbury.htm

Gives a few Cadbury memories

I assume that there is a real link between Cadbury's and Stirchley, Bostin, or are you just having me on or playing around?  ;)
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

Jacqueline

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 01:04:30 AM »
Anyone remember the tragic event where a young lad on a milk float stuck his head out to shout a mate? His head hit a lampost and he died. I think it would have been in the 60's. His name was Cliff Bailey and he lived on Cartland Road.

chopendoz

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 01:27:05 AM »
Don't remember that one but there was an incident back in the 50's when a guy driving a truckload of sheet steel down the hill into Stirchley, had his load shift and one of the sheets slid forward decapitating him.

shardeen

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »
hello, i didn't have that much to do with stirchley, exept i was resident drummer at selly park social club at one time and i used to go to a club in stirchley called the taboo in the 60's
shardeen

Jacqueline

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
Hi Shardeen,
       A club in Stirchley in the 60's? I am gobsmacked ;D
Stirchley was quite lively for shopping in the 60's and not like the ghost town it is now. However there was very little in the way of social clubs for teenagers.
       Where was the taboo club located and what age group did it cater for? I am intrigued.

shardeen

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
hello. sorry jacquelline, i may have given the wrong impresion when i said "club" i meant i used to go to a dance in stirchley in a church-hall called  THE TABOO  where incidentley i met my wife the rockin berries where playing there at that time
shardeen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy