Author Topic: Anyone from Stirchley  (Read 32406 times)

countrylad

Re: Anyone from Stirchley
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
Not from Stirchley, but my main memories would be going either with the school, with mates or dad to Stirchley swimming baths.

As kids we would walk from Kings Norton to the baths mostly in the long summer holidays. Just up from the baths was a chip shop (always hungry after swimming), would get chips 6d or a scallop 1d (depending on finances). Across the road was Bunn's, I think this was a newsagent. Walking home we would usually turn left at the Breeden Cross towards Lifford res and walk back along the canal, past Junction House to Kings Norton.

Does anyone remember the family at Junction House in the mid 60's? They kept pigs and chickens. I can remember the youngest lad learning to swim in the canal. His sister in a little rowing boat and him in the water with a rope around his waist.

I can also remember that sometimes Stirchley baths would be closed for some reason when we got there. So we would walk further to Tiverton Road baths. When I look back we must have covered some miles on foot. Never a rucksack in sight, towel and trunks rolled up and carried under the arm...   

townie

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »

A few photos of Stirchley baths. Thank you

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »

townie

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »

countrylad

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Thanks townie, good to see pictures of the old baths. I am sure there used to be a single diving board. Mind you, diving into only 6ft of water was asking for trouble. So probably removed as we got more safety conscious 

Looking at one of the pictures it looked ready to be demolished. Pleased to see from their web site that it is now a community hub. Interestingly, it looks like they have restored as original the old kiosk just inside the main doors where we paid to get in.     

TomParry98

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
Hi,

My name is Thomas - I am enquiring about a family friend who used to live in Brent Road, his name was George Smalley and he passed in 1973. He had a wife called Laura who passed away at 41 years of age. I think they lived at No. 34 and George's father Wilfred lived at No. 36.

If anyone remembers this family I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Thomas

AWJD

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Thanks townie, good to see pictures of the old baths. I am sure there used to be a single diving board. Mind you, diving into only 6ft of water was asking for trouble. So probably removed as we got more safety conscious
It's really good to see the old pictures inside the swimming baths. Yes, as far as I can remember when I was at Stirchley Primary School back in the 1950's, there was a low, single diving board at the far end. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a fear of water and never managed to learn to swim there even though I believe we went once a week from school.

Harley48

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »
Hi, I was born in Selly Oak Hospital and lived in Riverside Ave (prefabs) Off Cartland road from 1948 to 1969. \Now in Kefalonia Greece. Would love to hear from from this area/period
cheers Colin

Hi cloverfell
I’m from southampton ,  but my father Geoffrey  grew up at 4 riverside ave with his parents and sister between 1950 -1969 when he came to Southampton to live

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 11:08:32 PM »
Hi Harley

Welcome to the forum, I don't think we have any current posters that come from Stirchley at the moment but we do have members from there who haven't posted for a while. They just must reply to you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

AWJD

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 07:19:35 AM »
Hi Harley.

It's nice to hear someone mention Stirchley which is where I spent the first 18 years of my life, not far from what is now known as Hazelwell Park but which we always called Newlands Park in my youth. I remember all the prefabs in that area and had a lot of friends who lived in them but I'm struggling to work out where Riverside Avenue was?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
Hi Harley.

It's nice to hear someone mention Stirchley which is where I spent the first 18 years of my life, not far from what is now known as Hazelwell Park but which we always called Newlands Park in my youth. I remember all the prefabs in that area and had a lot of friends who lived in them but I'm struggling to work out where Riverside Avenue was?

hi awjd
 now im not 100% sure of this  but
Riverside Avenue  was behind the pav cinema it was the prefabs  the road first left
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy